[comp.windows.news] Emacs NeWS support

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (02/15/90)

We have code to support NeWS in Gnu Emacs.  It goes back to NeWS 1.0
or maybe 1.1. We're now experimenting with XNeWS 1.0, which I believe
is called NeWS 2.0.  It looks like the Gnu Emacs support needs to be
updated.  It basically works.  But it insists on refreshing the window
when I do just about anything.  Does anybody have revised support
for Gnu Emacs that is known to work with XNeWS 1.0?

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/20/90)

In article <Feb.14.18.25.34.1990.2908@geneva.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>Does anybody have revised support
>for Gnu Emacs that is known to work with XNeWS 1.0?

As the name says, XNeWS, or X11/NeWS, or OpenWindows, is *both* X and
NeWS. The X version of GNU Emacs runs fine under OpenWindows. Making
emacs support a proprietary window system that already supports emacs
seems a little pointless.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | If you want PL/I, you know where to
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | find it.    -- D. M. Ritchie

In article <FISCHER.90Feb19224922@blue.iesd.auc.dk> fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:
> The X version of GNU Emacs runs fine under OpenWindows. Making
> emacs support a proprietary window system that already supports emacs
> seems a little pointless.

Let's put it this way: why do you use Emacs rather than some other editor?
The bottom line for a lot of people is the programmability, no? So it stands
to reason that people who like the programmability of Emacs are likely to
want to have access to the programmability of NeWS while they're in Emacs.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

ks@tut.fi (Syst{ Kari) (02/22/90)

In article <4GW1PU7xds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>  The bottom line for a lot of people is the programmability, no? So it stands
>  to reason that people who like the programmability of Emacs are likely to
>  want to have access to the programmability of NeWS while they're in Emacs.

Yes that is the point. For example I programed a font-change to functionkeys
F3 and F4 so that F3 uses a character set with letters needed in Finnish
language. When I write english or programs I use US-ASCII character set by
pressing the button F4. I beleave this is not so easy in xemacs :-)

BTW. NeWS-emacs has (had in our case) two bugs.
   1) it performs unnecessary window updates
   2) the emacs-window is partly overlapped with other windows some function-
      keys are duplicated in input. This happens because of missing 'pause'
      in screen update code.

--
This article represents my personal views.
"X is the Fortran of windowing systems."