[comp.windows.news] NeWS Dead????

korp@TRIPOLI.EES.ANL.GOV (03/06/90)

A month or so ago a Sun Sales Engineer told us that NeWS and OpenWindows was the
future of Sun. He told us that about 50+ people were working on it and that Sun
had contractual obligations to finish NDE. Today I heard from a reliable source
that Sun has dropped internal development of NeWS and all but abandoned it!

This would not bode well for our community if it is true.
Does anyone have news to the contrary? Would someone at Sun like to comment?
Is X the future direction at Sun?

Also, DEC did seem to have unlimited funds when it came to bashing NeWS. They
went so far as to have 3 of their tech people write a paper bashing NeWS and
any developer doing work in it(us). All the money seems to have paid off.

		Peter A. Korp
		Argonne National Laboratory

These views are my own and do not in any way represent those of my employer.

zwicky@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com (Elizabeth Zwicky) (03/07/90)

In article <9003052327.AA25232@tripoli.ees.anl.gov> korp@TRIPOLI.EES.ANL.GOV writes:
>A month or so ago a Sun Sales Engineer told us that NeWS and OpenWindows was the
>future of Sun. He told us that about 50+ people were working on it and that Sun
>had contractual obligations to finish NDE. Today I heard from a reliable source
>that Sun has dropped internal development of NeWS and all but abandoned it!

Either your source is not as reliable as you think, or one of you has
confused "NeWS as a standalone window system" with "NeWS and
OpenWindows". Either there is internal development going on in
OpenWindows, or I was hallucinating last time I was at Sun, standing
in a programmer's office watching him work. And he's a PostScript side
programmer, too...

	Elizabeth Zwicky