[comp.windows.news] which terminal emulator do you use?

marantz@porthos.rutgers.edu (Roy Marantz) (03/06/90)

As an aside from all the (justified :-|)bashing about NeWS marketing
is this question.

I'm trying to findout which terminal emulator people use.  I'm
interested in what is being done for use with OpenWindows (what a
misnomer :-|) Below are my comments on the ones I've tried so far.

psterm (sun's) - works but scrolls slowly and insists on scaling the
	font when the window is resized.  doesn't support scrollbars
xterm (sun or MIT X) - faster than psterm on screen updating, scales
	number of rows/columns when window is resized (yea), not good
	for use on a slow remote machine (i.e. uncovering the window
	asks the remote side to repaint, this takes too long), doesn't
	understand the L keys (L5 and L7)
psterm (Grasshoppers) can't get it to work :-( probably because of
	font handling changes.

Anyone have any other's I should try?  I sure do wish there was one
that worked in every situation.  I find it hard to believe that these
are the "state of the art" when it comes to terminal emulations programs.

Roy
--
uucp:   {backbone}!rutgers!cs.rutgers.edu!marantz
arpa:   marantz@cs.rutgers.edu

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/06/90)

    xterm ... doesn't understand the L keys (L5 and L7)

(In R4 at least) "xterm -sf" will enable the Sun function key escape
sequences.  If you need something even different from that, you can
always rebind the translations for these keys directly (assuming the
desired actions are supported by xterm).

horen@cadence.com (Jonathan Horen) (03/08/90)

In article <Mar.5.13.32.13.1990.4638@porthos.rutgers.edu> marantz@porthos.rutgers.edu (Roy Marantz) writes:
>I'm trying to findout which terminal emulator people use.  I'm
>interested in what is being done for use with OpenWindows (what a
>misnomer :-|) Below are my comments on the ones I've tried so far.
>
>psterm (sun's) - works but scrolls slowly and insists on scaling the
>	font when the window is resized.  doesn't support scrollbars
>xterm (sun or MIT X) - faster than psterm on screen updating, scales
>	number of rows/columns when window is resized (yea), not good
>	for use on a slow remote machine (i.e. uncovering the window
>	asks the remote side to repaint, this takes too long), doesn't
>	understand the L keys (L5 and L7)
>psterm (Grasshoppers) can't get it to work :-( probably because of
>	font handling changes.
>
>Anyone have any other's I should try?  I sure do wish there was one
>that worked in every situation.  I find it hard to believe that these
>are the "state of the art" when it comes to terminal emulations programs.

You say you're interested in what is being done for use with OpenWindows?

Just use either of Sun's excellent OpenWindows/XView clients -- Shelltool
or CmdTool!

OpenWindows is the greatest thing since SunView. Don't leave home without
it.

 +------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
 | _J_o_n_a_t_h_a_n_ _B_._ _H_o_r_e_n_ _ _ _ _  | |  .           |       Lilmod Al Manat Laasot    |
 | _C_a_d_e_n_c_e_ _D_e_s_i_g_n_ _S_y_s_t_e_m_s | |__ (/\   \  / |__     Lilmod Al Manat Lelamed   |
 |                        |  _/ / _\  _\/   _/     Lilmod Al Manat Lichtov   |
 | _h_o_r_e_n_@_c_a_d_e_n_c_e_._c_o_m      |            -:   -                                |
 +------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

ks@tut.fi (Syst{ Kari) (03/08/90)

In article <Mar.5.13.32.13.1990.4638@porthos.rutgers.edu> marantz@porthos.rutgers.edu (Roy Marantz) writes:

>   I'm trying to findout which terminal emulator people use.  I'm
>   interested in what is being done for use with OpenWindows (what a
>   misnomer :-|) Below are my comments on the ones I've tried so far.

The Grasshopper psterm (modified here at Tampere University of Technology)
is available by anonymous ftp at tut.fi (128.214.1.2).
The file is src/NeWS/psterm_3.tar.Z.

--
This article represents my personal views.
Peter da Silva: "X is the Fortran of windowing systems." - I agree