[comp.windows.news] Open Vistas

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (03/12/90)

ric@rioja.ifs.umich.edu (Richard Campbell) wrote:
> Wasn't there an organization called "Open Vistas" or some such thing
> which appeared to be a technical/vendor group boosting NeWS?

Open Vistas was a trade association for "PostScript on screens" vendors
and users.  To be independent from Sun it had to be run by people from
the community.  Grasshopper and Windows Marketing started it; Architec
joined in to administer it.  A bunch of NeWS vendors financed their
shares of the big booth, and Sun kicked in some money for
administration and the nonprofits (e.g. Don Hopkins and Los Alamos).

The problem was, we had no marketing people.  Hugh and I are hackers.
Our third partner Keith is not strong at marketing.  Architec seems to
have similar problems.  E.g. when Adobe called up to see if they could
join, Architec said "we'll have to think about it" rather than
"YES!!!".  Sun Windows Marketing has its hands full already, and if Sun
ran Open Vistas it would truly appear to be just another arm of Sun
Marketing.  It should've been NeWS (and DPS) Marketing -- lord knows we
needed it -- but we had no marketing experience.  We never developed
the organization or spent any time on recruiting people, beyond the
first booth.

I think we did OK for being some hackers putting together a booth.
The problem was in follow-through, and Grasshopper and Architec didn't
have what it took.  If somebody wants to resurrect Open Vistas for
future NeWS stuff, more power to you -- but find a marketeer!

--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      gnu@toad.com
 Boycott the census!  In 1942, the Census Bureau told the Army which block