[comp.windows.news] Free NeWS?

Is the PIX PostScript interpreter available any more? Even without the
windowing, a free PostScript would be something worth having available for
a wide variety of purposes. The only one I know of is Ghostscript, and I
don't care to play political games with the GNU folks.
--
 _--_|\  `-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \  'U`

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (03/14/90)

Don't forget Crispin Goswell's interpreter which was integrated into
viewers for SunView and X.  I think the SunView interface fell away,
but "xps" is still alive, mostly well, and available by anonymous ftp
from expo.lcs.mit.edu (contrib/xps.tar.Z).  An older version, which
may still have the SunView support, is available from
labrea.stanford.edu (pub/ukps.tar.Z)

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
(jim@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940

jthomp@hosaka.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson) (03/15/90)

> Don't forget Crispin Goswell's interpreter which was integrated into
> viewers for SunView and X.  I think the SunView interface fell away,
> but "xps" is still alive, mostly well, and available by anonymous ftp
> from expo.lcs.mit.edu (contrib/xps.tar.Z).  An older version, which
> may still have the SunView support, is available from
> labrea.stanford.edu (pub/ukps.tar.Z)

Um, there never was SunView support, though there was the basic
SunWindow support.  A few months back, Mike Bender and I went
through the gymnastics to bend the code into working with (under?)
SunView.  I suppose I can put it out somewhere if the demand is
overwhelming.

--
Jim Thompson - Network Engineering - Sun Microsystems -	jthomp@central.sun.com
Charter Member - Fatalistic International Society for Hedonistic Youth (FISHY)

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (03/15/90)

please do make the sunview support for Goswell's stuff available.  --Ed

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/16/90)

In article <2120@texsun.Central.Sun.COM>, jthomp@hosaka (Jim Thompson) writes:

> I suppose I can put it out somewhere if the demand is
>overwhelming.

Please. The old "patch" announced in comp.sources.misc (v15i049) never
worked right.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett

goward@admin.cse.ogi.edu (Philip Goward) (03/19/90)

The PIX window system is alive and well on the Cogent Research XTM.
The graphics libraries have been completely rewritten, and it no longer
uses any cscript code. PIX isn't yet completely compatible with NeWS, but
is compatible enough to run litewindow and litemenu, and most of the Sun
demo programs.

PIX now also supports X in a novel way - by means of a shared graphics
server that both a separate PostScript server and X server access
simultaneously. On the Cogent machine all three parts run on different
processors.

Cogent is still interested in enhancing the graphics side of the server,
and also in the possibility of putting PIX into the public domain, but
it still needs work before it's exactly like NeWS.

Anyone interested can contact me:
Philip J Goward, at Cogent Research Inc., 1100 NW Compton Dr.,
Beaverton, OR 97006.

goward@admin.ogi.edu