[comp.windows.news] Uncompressing to stdout

kron@aiki.Eng.Sun.COM (Kenneth Kron) (06/01/90)

In article <9005300339.AA23506@brillig.UMD.EDU>, don@CS.UMD.EDU (Don Hopkins) writes:
>Oops, I meant to say that "uncompress < spin/zoom.raw.Z | mapper -
>..." doesn't work for some stupid reason. I tried putting dd between
>the two processes, but I still couldn't get it to work. Does "mapper"
>need to be taught to try harder, or is there some other way to make it
>work?
>
>	-Don

You should be using zcat instead of uncompress.  uncompress specifically
wants to uncompress 1 file to another (it truncates the ".Z").
zcat on the other hand will uncompress a file to a pipe.

Good luck
--
Kenneth Kron     (kron@eng.sun.com)
-----