[comp.windows.news] How to obtain the window hierarchy

marshall@software.org (Eric Marshall) (06/09/90)

	How can you obtain information concerning the window
hierarchy, e.g. all of the created windows, their parents, their
size and location, etc?

	Thanks in advance.

Eric Marshall
Software Productivity Consortium
SPC Building
2214 Rock Hill Road
Herndon, VA 22070
(703) 742-7153

UUCP: ...!uunet!software!marshall
ARPANET: marshall%software.org@relay.cs.net

mh@awds26.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (06/12/90)

>	How can you obtain information concerning the window
>hierarchy, e.g. all of the created windows, their parents, their
>size and location, etc?
>
>	Thanks in advance.

    canvases have in them attributes such as TopChild CanvasAbove
    CanvasBelow etc... see NeWS ref. man. for descriptions.

    You could first start by sending a message to all the windows (see
    the All Windows menu code for the root menu) from this list you can
    figure out who is above who etc... using the keys i mentioned above
    for each windows FrameCanvas.

-mike

wim@ecn.nl (Wim Rijnsburger) (06/12/90)

In article <54110@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> mh@awds26.UUCP (Mike Hoegeman) writes:

>>	How can you obtain information concerning the window
>>hierarchy, e.g. all of the created windows, their parents, their
>>size and location, etc?
>    canvases have in them attributes such as TopChild CanvasAbove
>    CanvasBelow etc... see NeWS ref. man. for descriptions.

NeWS version 2.0, which we have in beta here, supports this with:

	- canvasesunderpath
	- canvasesunderpoint

Wim.

---------- Netherlands Energy Research Foundation, ECN --------------
Wim Rijnsburger                          email: RIJNSBURGER@ECN.NL
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG  Petten, Holland     phone: +31 2246 4673