[comp.windows.news] Color Images

laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) (06/27/90)

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:

>OpenWindows Version 3 (next yearish) will have full support for 24 bit
>screen and memory rasters.
 [ ... ]

Hmmmm..... does this mean 24 bit framebuffers like the CG9, and maybe the GP2
board will support OpenWindows?  If not, can we have the reference port and we'll
do it ourselves?

-------------
David Lau-Kee
Canon Research Centre Europe,
17/20 Frederick Sanger Rd, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU25YD, UK.
NRS: laukee@uk.co.canon, INET: laukee%canon@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
UUCP: laukee@canon.uucp, PATH: ..!mcsun!ukc!uos-ee!canon!laukee
Tel: +44 (0) 483 574325 Fax: +44 (0) 483 574360

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (06/28/90)

|>laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) writes:
|> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:
|>
|> >OpenWindows Version 3 (next yearish) will have full support for 24 bit
|> >screen and memory rasters.
|>  [ ... ]
|>
|> Hmmmm..... does this mean 24 bit framebuffers like the CG9, and maybe
the GP2
|> board will support OpenWindows?  If not, can we have the reference port and
|> we'll do it ourselves?
|>
|> -------------
|> David Lau-Kee
|> Canon Research Centre Europe,

Remember, I'm just an engineer trying to be helpful with responses to
technical questions, for information about exact features and release
dates of future releases you should contact you local sales
representative.  No one really knows exactly what will be in any future
release until we ship it...

-Patrick

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Window Systems Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

rodney@ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (06/28/90)

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:

>|>laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) writes:

>|>  [ ... ]
>|>
>|> Hmmmm..... does this mean 24 bit framebuffers like the CG9, and maybe
>the GP2
>|> board will support OpenWindows?  If not, can we have the reference port and
>|> we'll do it ourselves?
>|>
>|> -------------
>|> David Lau-Kee
>|> Canon Research Centre Europe,

>Remember, I'm just an engineer trying to be helpful with responses to
>technical questions, for information about exact features and release
>dates of future releases you should contact you local sales
>representative.  No one really knows exactly what will be in any future
>release until we ship it...

I've been told by Sun not to hold my breath for openwindows support of the
cg9.  It would be nice if they admitted that they aren't going to use it
or if they decided to support it instead of continually hinting and playing
guessing games with people who spent thousands of dollars for their products.

--
Rodney