[comp.windows.news] OW 2 and %pipe

rjf@canon.co.uk (Robin Faichney) (06/28/90)

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

camille% psh
dex
Welcome to X11/NeWS Version 1.0
(%pipe echo hello) (r) file 20 string readline { print } if
hello

camille% psh
dex
Welcome to X11/NeWS Version 2 (Beta)
(%pipe echo hello) (r) file 20 string readline { print } if
***ERROR***
Process: 0x328088 (camille client)   Error: undefinedfilename
Stack: (%pipe echo hello) (r)
Executing: 'file'
At: Reading file(?,W,R)

It looks like %pipe doesn't work anymore.  Is this a bug, or
has %pipe been dropped; in either case, what is the alternative?
--
Robin Faichney, Canon Research Centre Europe Ltd,  NRS: rjf@uk.co.canon
17-20 Frederick Sanger Road,                      ARPA: rjf@canon.co.uk

ronin@ronin.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Raymor) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun28.090832.22020@canon.co.uk>, rjf@canon.co.uk (Robin Faichney) writes:

> It looks like %pipe doesn't work anymore.  Is this a bug, or
> has %pipe been dropped; in either case, what is the alternative?
> --

There is a new pipe extension.  Here is a description from the NeWS 2.1
Programmer's Guide (Revision 50, of 23 February 1990) :

	command pipe => rfile wfile

	Executes the utility whose name is command.  The input for
	command can be provided with writes on the wfile object.
	The output from command can be read from the rfile object.
	The wfile object is normally removed from the stack if
	command does not expect input.  Popping either object is
	sufficient to close that portion of the connection.  If a
	two-way, read-write connection is established, it is good
	practice to close the wfile before consuming command's output
	via rfile to overcome potential buffering problems.

Your example would be rewritten as :

(echo hello) pipe	% rfile wfile
pop			% rfile
20 string readline {