[comp.windows.news] Finding the version of OpenWindows

siegel@pprg.unm.edu (Josh Siegel) (07/24/90)

Newsgroups: comp.windows.news
Subject: Re: Finding xnews version outside xnews?

In article <1990Jul22.135206.455@postmaster@turing.ac.uk> rudolf@morlich.turing.ac.uk (Jim Rudolf) writes:
>For configuration purposes I'm trying to find out what version
>of xnews a machine has from within a shell script.  I tried something
>like the following line, but I got an error message voicing xnews's
>displeasure:
>
>morlich% xnews 'version ='
>Process: 0x1b9094 (Unnamed process)   Error: unimplemented

version is defined in (NeWS/basics.ps) and is not a PostScript
primitive.

>Using the -init flag and/or double quotes didn't seem to help.
>
>BTW, I'm running OpenWindows1.0.1.
>So my questions are:
> a) Why am I having trouble passing PostScript as an arg to xnews?

OpenWindows 1.0.x does not take a '-init' option

   % xnews '2 2 add =='

OpenWindows 2.x does

   % xnews -init '2 2 add =='

> b) Is there an alternate way to find out the version?

$OPENWINHOME/bin/xnews -help |& grep "-init"

And then look at the status... :-)

You also can:

egrep "^/version" $OPENWINHOME/etc/NeWS/basics.ps | sed -e 's/^.*(\(.*\)).*$/\1/g'

Hope this helps.

>  -- Jim

Josh Siegel
siegel@sun.com
--
Josh Siegel		(siegel@hc.dspo.gov)
  Friends don't let Friends eat Cherry Zingers

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (07/25/90)

In article <28176@pprg.unm.edu>, siegel@pprg.unm.edu (Josh Siegel) writes:

|> Newsgroups: comp.windows.news
|> Subject: Re: Finding xnews version outside xnews?
|>
|> In article <1990Jul22.135206.455@postmaster@turing.ac.uk>
rudolf@morlich.turing.ac.uk (Jim Rudolf) writes:
|> >For configuration purposes I'm trying to find out what version
|> >of xnews a machine has from within a shell script.

This should do the trick... (older versions may not need the -init.)

xnews -init "
	/currentpacking false def
	/setpacking { pop } def
	(NeWS/basics.ps) (r) file cvx exec
	version =
	shutdownserver
"

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Window Systems Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080