[net.news.group] Proposed 'net.music.folk' group

mej@ptsfc.UUCP (Mary Johnson) (11/03/84)

The use of 'net.wobegon' for general folk music topics has aroused
the wrath of the group's creator, who wants to keep the group
focused on 'The Prairie Home Companion' radio show.

It has also been noted that network people will have no idea
that net.wobegon relates to folk music, unless they are PHC fans.
(Lake Wobegon is the mythical location in Minnesota from which
the show is broadcast.)

I would like to propose the creation of a 'net.music.folk' group for
people interested in the traditional music of any culture.

                Mary Johnson
                {ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd}!dual!ptsfa!ptsfc!mej

I second the motion.

Charley Wingate

ericf@uwvax.UUCP (Eric Feigenson) (11/06/84)

I second the motion to create "net.music.folk", or something of
that ilk.  Net.wobegon became the repository of folk music discussion
due to it being closest in existing purpose (A Prarie Home Companion,
the radio program which the group is about, features various types of
folk music from around the U.S. and around the world), and being realtively
quiescent (i.e., few articles were being posted).

Folk music/dance and related arts discussions would do well to have
their own group, if not net.music.folk, then perhaps just net.folk
or net.folk-arts.

--

				    -Eric Feigenson

				    Usenet: {seismo, allegra, ihnp4}!uwvax!ericf
				    Arpanet: ericf@wisc-rsch.arpa

jwp@sdchema.UUCP (John Pierce) (11/06/84)

In article <219@ptsfc.UUCP> mej@ptsfc.UUCP (Mary Johnson) writes:

 > The use of 'net.wobegon' for general folk music topics has aroused
 > the wrath of the group's creator ...

It's annoyed me considerably, also.  What's going to happen is that somebody's
going to say something like "John Fahey's the greatest folk guartist that's
ever lived" or "There's never been a better folk group than Pentangle", and
our nice friendly net.wobegon will go the way of net.religion.

 > I would like to propose the creation of a 'net.music.folk' group for
 > people interested in the traditional music of any culture.

Barring serious objection in the next week or so (or somebody else doing it
sooner) I will create net.music.folk.

				John Pierce, Chemistry, UC San Diego
				{decvax,sdcsvax}!sdchema!jwp

gsf@astroatc.UUCP (11/08/84)

[ ... Fan mail from some flounder??? ]

Its obvious from the recent flood of postings to net.wobegon
that net.music.folk is wanted and needed. Here is one more vote
to get this group going. Maybe then net.wobegon can return to
being the shy little newsgroup it used to be.

				Greg Fischer
				...uwvax!astroatc!gsf