[comp.windows.news] you say NDE, i say tNt, let's call the whole thing off

smith@canon.co.uk (Mark Smith) (08/22/90)

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) writes:
> On a different thread: I'm not sure that the 2nd-classness of NeWS is
> Sun's fault.  Seems to me that the world (or maybe "commercial
> market") is the one putting NeWS in the back seat, and that Sun,
> wanting to be a player in that world, is forced to go along.

As Scott McNealy says, "we're putting all our heads on one block of wood".
Well, something like that, anyway.

Actually, all the Sun reps still masochistic enough to talk to us say that
X development has peaked, and that all the "interesting" stuff within Sun
itself is being done with NeWS.  Whether this is the Truth, the Company Line,
or Something They Overheard In The Toilet At Mountain View is debatable, but
I guess any announcements/rumours about future products in the multimedia
vein will be interesting in this regard.  And Frame's announcement was
certainly encouraging.

It would be nice to hear more about tNt 2 timescales, though.

 Mark Smith                                            smith@canon.co.uk
 Canon Research Centre Europe                   ..ukc!uos-ee!canon!smith
 soft driven slow and mad like some new language