[comp.windows.news] NeWS down-played in OW 2.0

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (08/22/90)

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) writes:

   Even PageView, which should be the premier NeWS application,
   seems lacking.  It has lost the random page access feature of psview.

While agreeing that NeWS is a 2nd-class citizen in OW 2.0, and that
pageview should have random page access, I don't think that pageview
should be seen as the premier NeWS application/demo.  It is too easily
matched/overmatched by Display PostScript analogues on other X
servers.

On a different thread: I'm not sure that the 2nd-classness of NeWS is
Sun's fault.  Seems to me that the world (or maybe "commercial
market") is the one putting NeWS in the back seat, and that Sun,
wanting to be a player in that world, is forced to go along.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

mlandau@bbn.com (Matthew Landau) (08/23/90)

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) writes:
>On a different thread: I'm not sure that the 2nd-classness of NeWS is
>Sun's fault.  Seems to me that the world (or maybe "commercial
>market") is the one putting NeWS in the back seat, and that Sun,
>wanting to be a player in that world, is forced to go along.

This is a good point.

Let's be realistic for a minute: as a vendor of worktations, Sun has
to ask itself what the customer base is demanding, and at the moment,
the customer base is demanding a good, high-performance implementation
of X11.  Yes, *we* all know that X pales in comparison to NeWS along
any dimension you care to compare...  except for the all-important
dimension of market popularity.

Given limited resources, I can't really fault Sun for deciding that they
had to emphasize a good solid X11 implementation at this point.  After
all, where is NeWS going to be if Sun can't sell any machines?

My hope is that, now that Sun HAS an implementation of X11 that's at
least as good as anyone else's (and one that exhibits many fewer bugs
than either DEC's or IBM's product offerings), and can satisfy that
very immediate market demand, they'll have the freedom to redirect some
of those resources back to the NeWS side of things, which is where the
real added-value of OpenWindows (and Sun hardware) is going to come
from in the future.
--
 Matt Landau		    			Rebel without a clue.
 mlandau@bbn.com

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (08/23/90)

In article <14471@diamond.BBN.COM>, mlandau@bbn.com (Matthew Landau) writes:
> Let's be realistic for a minute: as a vendor of worktations, Sun has
> to ask itself what the customer base is demanding, and at the moment,
> the customer base is demanding a good, high-performance implementation
> of X11.  Yes, *we* all know that X pales in comparison to NeWS along
> any dimension you care to compare...  except for the all-important
> dimension of market popularity.

If Sun stopped its Open Look jihad and simply adopted the Motif
look-n-feel, they would have a lot more latitude to develop new
software.  Let's not have a Motif vs. Open Look flame war -- see the
latest Unix Today! editorial on the subject.  I'm just pointing out
that if Sun weren't expending so many resources on fighting Motif,
they could develop better X11 and NeWS implementations and gain even
more market share.

-Ittai

tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) (08/24/90)

In article <4806@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU>, ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) writes:
> In article <14471@diamond.BBN.COM>, mlandau@bbn.com (Matthew Landau) writes:
> > Let's be realistic for a minute: as a vendor of worktations, Sun has
> > to ask itself what the customer base is demanding, and at the moment,
> > the customer base is demanding a good, high-performance implementation
> > of X11.  Yes, *we* all know that X pales in comparison to NeWS along
> > any dimension you care to compare...  except for the all-important
> > dimension of market popularity.
>
> If Sun stopped its Open Look jihad and simply adopted the Motif
> look-n-feel, they would have a lot more latitude to develop new
> software.  Let's not have a Motif vs. Open Look flame war -- see the
> latest Unix Today! editorial on the subject.  I'm just pointing out
> that if Sun weren't expending so many resources on fighting Motif,
> they could develop better X11 and NeWS implementations and gain even
> more market share.
>
> -Ittai

I'm sure Sun appreciates the concern of both you and "UNIX Today!" for their
well-being.  However, whether or not Sun is doing the right thing, you, the
"UNIX Today!" columnist, and many other people in the world seem to be missing
a key point that has been discussed in previous issues of that same newspaper.

The June 25 issue's lead article was on the June 11 Usenix conference held in
Anaheim.  At that conference, UNIX pioneer Dennis Ritchie of Bell Labs
remarked, "Standards committees are not the best way to create a standard.
Standards meetings and standards themselves are horribly political things....
One thing that people forget is that many standards are made by rather small
groups of people.  A few good people can really save the day, and a few idiots
can really make it miserable for years to come."  He also touched on some of
the shortcomings of some of today's standards, including POSIX and X11.

The July 23 issue's lead article was on a new experimental operating system
being developed at Bell Labs.  In that article, Ritchie's colleague Rob Pike
was quoted discussing standards:

	Previously, standards were decided once a technology had been out in
	the market for some time.  Now, he said, "we're standardizing before we
	build systems," with potentially dangerous consequences.

	"Standardization now usually precedes understanding," added Pike.  "For
	instance, people are now trying to standardize distributed systems when
	they [commercial implementations] don't even exist yet."

Don't misunderstand me.  I think standards are great, if treated properly.  But
I also agree with what Ritchie and Pike (and others) are saying.  Standards
*are* being defined prematurely in many cases.

The "UNIX Today!" editorial you mention states, "... most people say Open Look
is technically superior to Motif."  That is generally consistent with my
experience with people who have used both.  I have also noticed that people who
know much about both X11 and NeWS generally consider NeWS to be technically
superior to X11.

The editorial also states, "Users, however, have overwhelmingly decided to use
Motif."  Perhaps.  Some may doubt that the GUI war has been won, but there is
little doubt that X11, whether good or bad, is in control of the window system
battlefield.

All of this raises some questions:

1. Assuming that NeWS is technically superior to X11 and that OpenLook is
technically superior to Motif, did/do users really *want* to choose second-best
solutions?

2. Assuming that NeWS is technically superior to X11 and that OpenLook is
technically superior to Motif, is it mere coincidence that NeWS and OpenLook
both came from Sun, the workstation market leader, while X11 and Motif both
came from consortiums led by Sun's competitors in the workstation market?

3. Assuming X11 is the window system standard for the foreseeable future, does
the fact that the whole world has decided that it is the standard mean that it
will be the one and only standard forever?  Other than incremental enhancements
(R5, R6, ...), will it never get any better than this?

My own feeling is that users who have decided to specify X11/Motif as their
"standard" have done so, not necessarily because they believe that those
products are the best answer to their needs, but because they believe that
those products will be the most widely available from the industry.  And while
it is certainly important to avoid investing in products or vendors that might
disappear in the near future, it is also important to understand that today's
standards will not last forever.  No matter how good X11 is, it will someday be
replaced by something better.  In fact, the same thing could even happen to -
gasp! - UNIX.  (See, for example, the aforementioned lead story in the July 23
issue of "UNIX Today!".)

One might ask, if Sun is being stubborn on Motif, why aren't they being
stubborn on NeWS?  Simple.  NeWS cannot currently replace X11.  The product
(NeWS) is not as mature as X11, and the whole world has a few years worth of
investment in X11.  Not so with Motif.  The world could still switch to
OpenLook without too much pain.  So who's being stubborn, Sun or OSF?

Perhaps, from a business standpoint, Sun should give up and go with the flow.
From a technical standpoint, however, I admire them for sticking to their guns.

And, as a programmer and a user, I prefer that *any* standards contest be
decided on the basis of technical merit, not popularity.  Then again, maybe I'm
foolish for feeling that way.

Please don't consider this an invitation for a Motif/OpenLook or even an
X11/NeWS flame war.  Please redirect all flames to /dev/null.  If you don't
like what I wrote, feel free to ignore it completely.  Others probably will.
--
 ____     ____
| __ | /||___ |
||  //__|| \\	  Tom Olin    ...!uunet!adiron!tro    (315) 738-0600, Ext 638
|| //   ||  \\	  PAR Technology Corp, 220 Seneca Tpke, New Hartford NY 13413

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (08/24/90)

Interesting.  I had an offline conversation with someone else on this
topic, and I quoted the very same parts of the Unix Today! editorial
as you did:

	...and most people say Open Look is technically superior
	to Motif.  Users, however, have overwhelmingly decided to
	use Motif.  Whether these decisions are purely political,
	or because of Motif's link to DOS and OS/2 is irrelevant
	now; it's dead history.

I think there is an important distinction being developed that is
helpful to a rapprochement.  The users, for whatever reason, like
Motif; the programmers seem to feel that OpenLook is technically
superior, and many in this group certainly feel that NeWS beats
any X11 toolkit hands down.

I see two different issues here, and there is no reason they are
mutually exclusive.  It seems simple: generate an XView and tNt which
use Motif looking graphics.  To the extent there is commonality, adopt
the Motif styleguide, and where there is none, innovate.  For example,
a graphic designer can easily design a motif-looking pushpin.

A case in point: Visix has a a "desktop manager" product called
Looking Glass.  Looking Glass is a Motif application, but it not
written using the Motif toolkit: they wrote their own toolkit, because
Motif did not have styleguide features they wanted (some of which are
in OpenLook).

Sun can forfeit a small skirmish and win the war.  Once the users
are happy, Sun can continue on its way to make NeWS or son-of-NeWS
the successor to X11.  And in the interim, make XView the toolkit
of choice.

Is it really worth fighting to the death about graphical design?
Are roundtangles worth that much!  C'mon, lets get on with it...

-Ittai

uad1077@dircon.uucp (08/25/90)

[ Discussion about why NeWS isn't on every desktop...]

There seems to be a significant sub-culture of people who liked
NeWS so much they tried poting it (yeah, even way back in 1987).
The ports worked real well, but unfortunately many of these people
got so fed up of Sun's attitude to these people who were trying to
help promote this product that they went away and did more rewarding
things instead.  To the best of my knowledge, Mark Callow is the only
one of these people who has lasted the course.

Now, if only Gosling had set up an independent software house when
he left CMU, things might indeed have been different.

Please stop blaming X.  It may be bad, it may be political, but I
think it is really just expanding into a vacuum.

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP

montnaro@spyder.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug24.181515.18866@dircon.uucp> uad1077@dircon.uucp writes:

   There seems to be a significant sub-culture of people who liked
   NeWS so much they tried poting it (yeah, even way back in 1987).
   The ports worked real well, but unfortunately many of these people
   got so fed up of Sun's attitude to these people who were trying to
   help promote this product that they went away and did more rewarding
   things instead.  To the best of my knowledge, Mark Callow is the only
   one of these people who has lasted the course.

Scott McNealy spoke recently at a local Sun symposium we hold each year. He
said (paraphrased):

	"The biggest mistake I ever made was rolling over on the X versus
	NeWS issue."

He made two other statements that reflect on the X vs. NeWS and Open Look
vs. Motif things:

	"We didn't set out to design a new graphical user interface. Bill
	Joy and I first talked with Bill Gates. He wanted too high a royalty
	for Windows. [Sun wanted to pay $5 per seat, Gates wanted $80 and
	wouldn't go below $50.] Then we went to John Scully. He was too busy
	promoting a new book. Then we went to Steve Jobs. He said, 'I'll get
	back to you.' and never did, so AT&T, Xerox, and Sun teamed up to do
	Open Look."

	"The royalties for Motif 2.0 will be double that for 1.0 [$80 vs.
	$40]. To get retail dollars, multiply that by 5. It's the only
	revenue OSF has, so they're milking it."

--
Skip (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)

tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) (09/05/90)

I'm afraid my first article did not clearly make my points.  Let me
try one more time.

In article <4845@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU>, ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) writes:
>                              The users, for whatever reason, like
> Motif...

See point 2 below.

>                      It seems simple: generate an XView and tNt which
> use Motif looking graphics.  To the extent there is commonality, adopt
> the Motif styleguide, and where there is none, innovate.  For example,
> a graphic designer can easily design a motif-looking pushpin.

There is more to OPEN LOOK's pushpin than just its appearance.  It
plays a very specific role in OL's look-and-feel.  As far as I know,
that specific role is not defined in Motif.  And I believe this whole
Motif vs. OPEN LOOK debate is primarily over look-and-feel, isn't it?

> Sun can forfeit a small skirmish and win the war.  Once the users
> are happy, Sun can continue on its way to make NeWS or son-of-NeWS
> the successor to X11.  And in the interim, make XView the toolkit
> of choice.

See point 3 below.

> Is it really worth fighting to the death about graphical design?
> Are roundtangles worth that much!  C'mon, lets get on with it...

See point 3 below.

> -Ittai

A quick recap of the points I was trying to make:

1.  I question the wisdom of deciding on standards before they have
been implemented and/or fully tested.  And I question the durability
of standards and the importance with which people seem to view them.
Standards do get replaced (e.g., CORE graphics, GKS, etc.).  While I
support the proper development of standards, I often feel that too
many people have gone overboard (i.e., off the deep end) on the idea.

2.  I believe most users in the Motif camp have chosen Motif, not
because they particularly like it, but because they see it as the safe
business choice.  There is a difference.

3.  If, as you and others claim, the world has decided on Motif, then
it shouldn't matter whether Sun gives up on OPEN LOOK or not.  So why
is everybody still wringing their hands and begging Sun to give up the
fight?  Maybe the world hasn't really decided?

Personally, I can live with X11 instead of NeWS, and I can live with
Motif instead of OPEN LOOK.  In both cases, the job gets done.  But I
don't have to like the way some people make their decisions.

I'll stop kicking this horse now.  My foot hurts.
--