[comp.windows.news] speed of newer versions of OpenWindows on low-end Suns

mp@allegra.att.com (Mark Plotnick) (10/13/90)

A few people here with low-end Sun-3's (e.g. 4MB diskless 3/50 and 3/75)
have expressed interest in using OpenWindows so that they can run
pageview.  OpenWindows 1.0 seems rather sluggish, though, compared
to sunview.  I know OpenWindows 2.0 runs faster in benchmarks on
well-endowed systems, but is there also an improvement on memory-poor
diskless systems where paging may be a factor?  If not, is it worth our
while to try to get OpenWindows 1.0.1 from Sun?

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp or mp@allegra.att.com

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (10/13/90)

I have a 3/50 on my desk (though I must confess that normally I use
someone else's desk, and he has a 3/60).  I consider OpenWindows
releases previous to 2.0 -- even 2.0 beta -- essentially unusable on a
4MB 3/50.  2.0 is just barely usable.  However X11R4 is noticably
faster, at least with the tuning we've done.  The difference is enough
to matter, as it takes you from a situation where you really wonder if
it's worth using windows at all to one that is usable.

Here's what we've done to optimize X11R4 for small systems.  First, we
have a special image that has removed as much as possible, things like
color support, support for xdm, etc.  The goal is to get as small an
image as possible.  (Removing the shapes extension didn't seem to save
enough to be worth doing.)  Also, on a 4MB system I recommend running
the X11R4 server with the options -su -bs.  Finally, I strongly
suggest disabling the swapper on SunOS 4.0.x:

  adb -w /vmunix
  nosched?W 1
  ^D

It doesn't take effect until reboot.  This patch was originally
proposed as a workaround for the PMEG problem on SS1's, but seems to
make 3/50's noticably more responsive.

So in short, if your target is a 4MB system, I would not bother trying
to get any OpenWindows before 2.0.  2.0 is usable if you have some
strong reason to need it, like you're a user support person trying to
support people with 8MB systems, but you're stuck with a 4MB system.
But for most purposes I recommend using X11R4 on 4MB systems.  I
believe the reason X11R4 performs better is simply that it's smaller,
and on a 4MB machine that's more important than CPU use.

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (10/14/90)

In article <42929@andante.UUCP>, mp@allegra.att.com (Mark Plotnick) writes:
|> A few people here with low-end Sun-3's (e.g. 4MB diskless 3/50 and 3/75)
|> have expressed interest in using OpenWindows so that they can run
|> pageview.  OpenWindows 1.0 seems rather sluggish, though, compared
|> to sunview.  I know OpenWindows 2.0 runs faster in benchmarks on
|> well-endowed systems, but is there also an improvement on memory-poor
|> diskless systems where paging may be a factor?  If not, is it worth our
|> while to try to get OpenWindows 1.0.1 from Sun?
|>
|> 	Mark Plotnick
|> 	allegra!mp or mp@allegra.att.com

Hand in hand with the performance tuning we downsized the server quite
a bit. The working set of the V2 server and a set of V2 XView tools is
quite a bit smaller than the same configuration was in 1.0.1.  I don't
have the numbers handy, but I'd say you will notice a win with V2 on 8M
machines, but 4M 3/50's will still page if you run the clients
locally.  If you just run the xnews server on the 3/50 and run ALL of
the clients from a server then V2 should work well for you.  I wouldn't
bother even trying this with 1.0.1.

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Window Systems Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

ktl@wag240.wag.caltech.edu (Kian-Tat Lim) (10/14/90)

	With regard to this discussion of the speed of OW2.0, we have
found that it feels slow on our 4/20s (SLCs) with 8 MB.  Two are
configured with /, /var, and swap on a local disk, with the rest
NFS-mounted; the third has everything including /usr/openwin on its
380 MB disk.

	Slowness involves a number of components.  Startup time is
about 90 seconds (compared with 30 for the NeWS server on our SGI
4D/25s).  Input-focus changes (I use "Move Pointer" focus policy) can
take multiple seconds.  Bringing up menus can also take seconds.  This
is with a modest set of clients: 3 cmdtool, cm, clock, mailtool,
perfmeter, emacs (18.52 under X).

	The culprit seems to be lack of real memory; vmstat gives a
"fre" number less than 512K all the time, and much paging and swapping
seems to be occurring.  The kernel has been trimmed down, but is still
1076624 bytes (text+data+bss).

	Installing the PMEG patch did little for performance, though
no stolen PMEGs are now reported during normal operations.

	Does anyone have suggestions for speeding OW2.0 up, besides
buying more RAM (a path we are already looking at)?  Only DECwindows
on an overloaded VS3100 approaches the slowness of common OW tasks,
making systems like NeXT look attractive as low-end workstations.
--
Kian-Tat Lim (ktl@wag240.wag.caltech.edu, KTL @ CITCHEM.BITNET, GEnie: K.LIM1)

laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) (10/15/90)

ktl@wag240.wag.caltech.edu (Kian-Tat Lim) writes:
>	Slowness involves a number of components.  Startup time is
>about 90 seconds (compared with 30 for the NeWS server on our SGI
>4D/25s).  Input-focus changes (I use "Move Pointer" focus policy) can
>take multiple seconds.  Bringing up menus can also take seconds.  This
>is with a modest set of clients: 3 cmdtool, cm, clock, mailtool,
>perfmeter, emacs (18.52 under X).
>	The culprit seems to be lack of real memory; vmstat gives a
>"fre" number less than 512K all the time, and much paging and swapping
>seems to be occurring.  The kernel has been trimmed down, but is still
>1076624 bytes (text+data+bss).

This is surprising. We ran OW2 on 4/20s with 8Mb (since upsized to 16)
and I don't remember speed problems anything like as bad as you
indicate (and this was before a proper kernel was configured).

Diskless at 16Mb startup is under 30 seconds, focus changes
and menu raises are effectively immediate.  Top says the server
sits around 3Mb resident.

Your kernel looks a little large at 1076624 bytes (text+data+bss).
We get:
jessica:ttyp0 size /vmunix
text    data    bss     dec     hex
688128  111280  33952   833360  cb750
without any sort of fiddling at all.

David Lau-Kee
Canon Research Centre Europe,
17/20 Frederick Sanger Rd, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU25YD, UK.
NRS: laukee@uk.co.canon, INET: laukee%canon@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
UUCP: laukee@canon.uucp, PATH: ..!mcsun!ukc!uos-ee!canon!laukee
Tel: +44 (0) 483 574325 Fax: +44 (0) 483 574360