[comp.windows.news] Getting full X11 support within OW 2.0

rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.) (10/20/90)

Dear Netland,

We have OpenWindows 2.0 installed, and are pretty happy with it, but when
we try to install net-posted stuff for X11, always find that various
include files and/or libraries are missing.  Do you know anything about
what if anything we would have to do to have a "full" X11 within OpenWindows?
I hate the idea of simply installing the whole mess in parallel with OW...
Is there a simple list of libraries which one can copy from a host
of identical architecture to "complete the set?"
A frivolous example: when trying to install xinvaders we find that
libXaw.a and libXmu.a are absent.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers
R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.         (415)476-8910 (work) 664-0560 (home)
UCSF Laurel Heights Campus     UUCP: ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers
3333 California St., Suite 102 ARPA: rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118 USA     BITNET: rodgers@ucsfcca

mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (10/23/90)

In article <15970@cgl.ucsf.EDU> rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.) writes:
>Dear Netland,
>
>We have OpenWindows 2.0 installed, and are pretty happy with it, but when
>we try to install net-posted stuff for X11, always find that various
>include files and/or libraries are missing.  Do you know anything about
:
:
etc..

a lot of X programs hardcode stuff into /usr/local/bin,lib,include/X11
you may have to make symbolic links (if you have them) of $OPENWINHOME/lib
to /usr/local/lib/X11, etc...

root@fstc-chville.army.mil (Operator) (10/25/90)

mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
>In article <15970@cgl.ucsf.EDU> rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.) writes:
>>We have OpenWindows 2.0 installed, and are pretty happy with it, but when
>>we try to install net-posted stuff for X11, always find that various
>>include files and/or libraries are missing.
>a lot of X programs hardcode stuff into /usr/local/bin,lib,include/X11
>you may have to make symbolic links (if you have them) of $OPENWINHOME/lib
>to /usr/local/lib/X11, etc...

When I installed Openwin, I set OPENWINHOME to /usr....
That way the man pages went into /usr/man, the lib's went into /usr/lib,
the bin's went into /usr/bin, the includes went into /usr/include,
the fonts went into /usr/lib/font, etc....      It also eliminated the
need for MANPATH, FONTPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc...

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (11/03/90)

In article <59648@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
>In article <15970@cgl.ucsf.EDU> rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.) writes:
>>Dear Netland,
>>
>>We have OpenWindows 2.0 installed, and are pretty happy with it, but when
>>we try to install net-posted stuff for X11, always find that various
>>include files and/or libraries are missing.  Do you know anything about
>:
>:
>etc..
>
>a lot of X programs hardcode stuff into /usr/local/bin,lib,include/X11
>you may have to make symbolic links (if you have them) of $OPENWINHOME/lib
>to /usr/local/lib/X11, etc...

I'm not sure why this X11 topic is appearing in comp.windows.news, but
to answer the question...

In V2, OpenWindows does not contain the following libraries:

        libXaw.a        libXaw.so.4.0   libXdmcp.a      libXmu.a
        libXmu.sa.4.0   libXmu.so.4.0

If you have need of them, building the libraries from the Consortium sources
and installing them in $OPENWINHOME/lib should work fine.  I'm not
aware of any dependencies on files being in /usr/lib for these libraries,
but if I'm wrong, a symbolic link to /usr/lib/X11 is easily made.

And while you're installing the libraries, you'll want to copy

        include/Xmu
        include/Xaw
        Xdmcp.h

into $OPENWINHOME/include/X11.