[comp.windows.news] OpenWindows fonts: architecture dependant ??

eckert@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (11/05/90)

Are the OpenWindows fonts different between the sun3 and sun4
architecture, and if yes, why so (no byte swapping or structure
alignment should be necessarily different)? I would simple like to
share fonts for both machines, not only to save space, but only
to make installation of new fonts easyer in a mixed sun[34]
environment.
--

Toerless Eckert          | /C=de/A=dbp/P=uni-erlangen/OU=informatik/S=eckert
V.4: Noah's ark of Unix  | X.400 ^ Internet> eckert@informatik.uni-erlangen.de

ks@tut.fi (Syst{ Kari) (11/05/90)

In article <3217@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> eckert@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) writes:

   Are the OpenWindows fonts different between the sun3 and sun4
   architecture, and if yes, why so (no byte swapping or structure
   alignment should be necessarily different)? I would simple like to
   share fonts for both machines, not only to save space, but only
   to make installation of new fonts easyer in a mixed sun[34]
   environment.

Yes, you can share fonts between sun3 and sun4 . At least it works ok in out
installation. I have now idea how 386i works.

I don't know why the default installation does not share them (like it
shares some other parts).

--
This article represents my personal views.
NeWS flash: "X is the Fortran of windowing systems."

eckert@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (11/06/90)

From article <KS.90Nov5162311@karikukko.tut.fi>, by ks@tut.fi (Syst{ Kari):
> Yes, you can share fonts between sun3 and sun4 . At least it works ok in out
> installation. I have now idea how 386i works.
>
> I don't know why the default installation does not share them (like it
> shares some other parts).

And why the hell are the binary font files of the OW 2.0 sun3/sun4
distributions different ? (Inquiring minds want to be sure before
removing one set of fonts...).