[comp.windows.news] OpenWindows finally Open!

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/05/90)

Well... I saw a post about this in comp.windows.x so I assume I may now
break the news to others.

OpenWindows source is now available from Sun Microsystems for a one time
media charge of $995, (I hear it is totally free for Universities). Vendors
can distribute binary ports of OpenWindows for fees ranging from $4-40. The
price is half of this for potential OpenWindows terminal manufacturers.

I don't know all of the rest of the details, but I have some suggestions
as to how to handle this newfound Openess.

- We need to establish an "MIT" of OpenWindows. By this I mean a place
  where PD ports of OpenWindows to various architectures would be held
  in some kind of Configuration Control and Management. This could be
  a group like Open Vistas, or some other organization.

- We MUST have people do PD ports of OpenWindows. Commercial ports are ok
  but to compete with straight X it has to be free.

- Remember that OpenWindows really competes with X with Display Postscript
  Create a number of benchmarks, like x11perf or xbench, that feature the
  unique capabilities of the OW server.

- We need to help promote the existance of products like FrameMaker 2.1 in
  NeWS and other products like it to follow. How about some of those
  highly talented individuals out there come up with a "killer" NeWS
  application. An app that makes people say they just have to have this
  NeWS stuff. This kind of app could be shareware or PD.

- Ultimately we need to inform the general public, clear up common
  misconceptions(NeWS does not use Display PostScript), and have some type
  of technical support for OW users(comp.windows.news).

Discussions about what a good killer app would be and how/who would implement
it are encouraged.

Cheers,

Peter

It is amazing how "standard" features of NeWS are constantly showing up in
X with each new revision... just slower.

(Circular windows, PostScript capability, Shared memory for windows, etc....)

laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) (11/05/90)

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:
>OpenWindows source is now available from Sun Microsystems for a one time
>media charge of $995, (I hear it is totally free for Universities). Vendors

Are you sure this includes the xnews server?

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.115131.24382@canon.co.uk> laukee@canon.co.uk writes:
>korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:
>>OpenWindows source is now available from Sun Microsystems for a one time
>>media charge of $995, (I hear it is totally free for Universities). Vendors
>
>Are you sure this includes the xnews server?

Positive! It wouldn't be news if the server were not included. I know it
may be hard to believe after waiting so long for Sun to do the right thing,
but it really is true.

Peter

eckert@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (11/06/90)

From article <1990Nov4.165604.20966@mcs.anl.gov>, by korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp):
> Well... I saw a post about this in comp.windows.x so I assume I may now
> break the news to others.
>
> OpenWindows source is now available from Sun Microsystems for a one time
> media charge of $995, (I hear it is totally free for Universities). Vendors
> can distribute binary ports of OpenWindows for fees ranging from $4-40. The
> price is half of this for potential OpenWindows terminal manufacturers.

What about a reference for this remark, i would like to present it tou
our sun support people.
--

Toerless Eckert          | /C=de/A=dbp/P=uni-erlangen/OU=informatik/S=eckert
V.4: Noah's ark of Unix  | X.400 ^ Internet> eckert@informatik.uni-erlangen.de

uad1077@dircon.uucp (11/06/90)

If the Open in OpenWindows is indeed no longer just a clearing of marketing
throats, why couldn't they have done it three years ago, when there was
a chance of making it into a product?  In chess, there's a term`tempo'.
With all the messing around, NeWS would appear to have lost a lethal
amout of tempo.  I was surpised at just how good and how fast X was
when I started using it.  By now, you'd need an even bigger gasp factor
for people going the other way.

And which VERSION of OW is it?  The one everyone's been complaining about
here recently:-)?

"X is great for writing terminal emulators; NeWS is great for writing
non-Mac DTP programs, if anyone wants such a thing; but its the 1990's
and people want GRAPHICS"

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/06/90)

For a reference look to Sun to announce something REAL SOON NOW.
Really, the offcial Sun anouncement is not far away. Don't bother the
Sun sales critters about it yet, just plan what to do with it when you get
it.

Peter