[comp.windows.news] OpenWindows Source Facts

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (11/20/90)

The Part Number for this Source Product is: OWPS-2.0-X-X-5.

The source it NOT freely copiable... it is licensed for free, but the
licensee may not redistribute the source... or make it available via
ftp, etc...

The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our
costs for producing and distributing the over 40 lbs of docs, not to
mention the cost of administering this release process.  And once
you've paid this money you have an unlimited site license and "Right To
Use" agreement on all of the source.

To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:

 o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
 o) SVR4 licensee.
 o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
 o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.

This is an unsupported product, (i.e. you cannot call 1 800 USA-4SUN),
so we would prefer that you bought it through one of the "Master
Distributors" who will also support the product.  A list of these
distributors will be announced shortly.

Hardware vendors may deliver OpenWindows binaries on their platform but
must pay royalties to Sun at the following schedule:

unit volume		royalty/unit
0-500			$40
500-5,000		$35
5,000-10,000		$30
10,000-20,000		$25
20,000-50,000		$20
50,000-100,000		$15
100,000-500,000		$10
500,000+		$5

x-terminals are half price per seat.

f3 font's are for display only.  Using xnews to drive printers (a la
NeWSprint) is not covered under this license agreement.  Royalty
agreements may be arranged on a contractual basis with Sun.

The documentation for OpenWindows 2.0 Source Release is in three
subsets: a Technical Referance Manual; graphics rendering manuals, and
the complete programmers and users set from the OpenWindows 2.0
Release.

X11/NeWS 1.0.1 Source Technical Reference Manual (800-5127-10).

	This document details the architecture, design, and
	implementation of the 1.0.1 release server. This document
	covers server internals in sufficient detail to permit a reader
	with previous window system experience to begin experimenting
	with modifications to the X11/ NeWS server.

X11/NeWS graphics interface documents.

	These documents describe the low-level framebuffer interface
	used in the X11/NeWS Window System.

	Shapes Reference Manual (800-3705-11)
	Shapes Internal Architecture Manual (800-3706-11).
	Shapes Quick Reference Manual (800-5139-10)

Also included is the complete document set from the OpenWindows 2.0
Release, which consists of:

	X11/NeWS Version 2 Server Guide (800-4898-10)
	NeWS 2.1 Programmer's Guide (800-4888-10)
	OpenWindows Version 2 Installation & Start-Up Guide (800-4899-10)
	OpenWindows Version 2 User's Guide (800-4930-10)
	OpenWindows Version 2 Release Notes (800-4910-10)
	DeskSet Environment Reference Guide (800-4929-10)
	OLIT Widget Set Programmers Guide (800-5100-10)
	OLIT Widget Set Reference Manual (800-5101-10)
	Xt Intrinsics Programmers Guide (Version 11, Release 4) (800- 5102-10)
	Xt Intrinsics Reference Manual (Version 11, Release 4) (800-5103-10)
Books:
	OPEN LOOK GUI: Functional Specification (800-1060-10)
	OPEN LOOK GUI: Application Style Guidelines (800-1061-10)
	Xlib Reference Manual (O'Reilly & Associates)
	Xlib Programming Manual (O'Reilly & Associates)
	X Protocol Reference Manual (O'Reilly & Associates)
	XView Programming Manual (O'Reilly & Associates)
	POSTSCRIPT Language Reference Manual (Adobe Systems Inc.)
	POSTSCRIPT Language Tutorial and Cookbook (Adobe Systems Inc.)

The source includes the full source to the X11/NeWS server, the OPEN
LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit (OLIT), the XView toolkit, and the clients
clock, cmdtool, shelltool, props, textedit, and olwm.  The 57 standard
F3 OpenFonts(TM) are included.

the rest of deskset is considered as end-user-applications not part of
the developers environment, thus source to the DeskSet applications is
not currently available.

For information regarding Sun Platforms contact:
	Smita Deshpande, (415) 336-4829, smitad@sun.com

For non-Sun platforms please contact:
	Diana Murray, (415) 336-1567, dianam@sun.com

Hope this clears some things up.

-Patrick
    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Windows and Graphics Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (11/20/90)

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:

>To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:
>
> o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
> o) SVR4 licensee.
> o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
> o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.

>Hope this clears some things up.

It sure does.

Never before have I seen a more deliberately misleading press
announcement.  There is a huge difference between a $1000.00 source
licence avaliable only to qualified licensees, and the product that
was described in your announcement.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin	Toolsmith, Language Lawyer
		UniFax Communications Inc.

beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (11/21/90)

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:
>The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
>directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our

Free is Free.
Cheap is not Free.
$995 may (or may not) be cheap but it is not free.
If redistribution was free you could say
it was free, but it aint so you can't.

I get _real_ sick of marketing _lies_.
--
It is easier to build a   | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
secure system than it is  | 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (11/22/90)

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:

>The Part Number for this Source Product is: OWPS-2.0-X-X-5.
>
>The source it NOT freely copiable... it is licensed for free, but the
>licensee may not redistribute the source... or make it available via
>ftp, etc...
>
>The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
>directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our
>costs for producing and distributing the over 40 lbs of docs, not to
>mention the cost of administering this release process.  And once
>you've paid this money you have an unlimited site license and "Right To
>Use" agreement on all of the source.

Oh goody.  A brand new definition of the word "free."  I was getting tired
of the old one anyway...

>To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:
>
> o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
> o) SVR4 licensee.
> o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
> o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.

A new definition of "Open" too.   How quaint.

>Hardware vendors may deliver OpenWindows binaries on their platform but
>must pay royalties to Sun at the following schedule:
>
>unit volume		royalty/unit
   :
   royalties stuff omitted

>x-terminals are half price per seat.
>
>f3 font's are for display only.  Using xnews to drive printers (a la
>NeWSprint) is not covered under this license agreement.  Royalty
>agreements may be arranged on a contractual basis with Sun.

This "Free" release of "Open" windows gets less free and less open with
every posting I see.

Could someone please explain how this "free" version of "Open" Windows is
the slightest bit different (from a legal standpoint, not technical) than
Motif?

-- Erik

Disclaimer:  I speak for myself, not SGI.
             I'm sure all of these names are copyrighted by *somebody*

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/22/90)

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:

> To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:

>  o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
>  o) SVR4 licensee.
>  o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
>  o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.

So this means that if I have a HP, IBM, Mac, or DEC, etc.,  I cannot buy
the source? I have to buy a SPARC or a System V.4 system?

Assume I have a Sun 4.
Can I port the sources to a DEC, HP, etc. ?
Do I have to pay for each system?

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

skdutta@cs.tamu.edu (Saumen K Dutta) (11/22/90)

In article <869@visenix.UUCP> beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) writes:
->In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:
->>The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
->>directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our
->
->Free is Free.
->Cheap is not Free.
->$995 may (or may not) be cheap but it is not free.
->If redistribution was free you could say
->it was free, but it aint so you can't.
->
->I get _real_ sick of marketing _lies_.
->--
->It is easier to build a   | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
->secure system than it is  | 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090
->to build a correct system.|
->           M. Gasser      | ...uunet!visenix!beattie

So much for the source! How about the binaries? Can they be distributed
*FREE* through ftp or other sources.

--
     _                                   ||Internet: skdutta@cssun.tamu.edu
    (   /_     _ /   --/-/- _            ||Bitnet : skd8107@tamvenus.bitnet

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (11/22/90)

[ sorry if this went out twice.  news is being weird ]

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:
>The source it NOT freely copiable... it is licensed for free, but the
>licensee may not redistribute the source... or make it available via
>ftp, etc...
>
>The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
>directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our
>costs for producing and distributing the over 40 lbs of docs, not to
>mention the cost of administering this release process.  And once
>you've paid this money you have an unlimited site license and "Right To
>Use" agreement on all of the source.
Oh goody.  A new definition for "free."   I was getting tired of
the old one anyway...

>To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:
>
> o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
> o) SVR4 licensee.
> o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
> o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.
A new definition for "Open" too.  How quaint.

>Hardware vendors may deliver OpenWindows binaries on their platform but
>must pay royalties to Sun at the following schedule:
>
>unit volume		royalty/unit
>0-500			$40
   (royalty info for "free" and "open" product deleted)
>500,000+		$5
>
>x-terminals are half price per seat.
This "free" release of "open" windows gets less free and less open every time
I hear about it.

Can anybody explain how this "free" and "open" release is any different (legally,
not technically) from the "expensive" and "proprietary" release of Motif?  (Other
than the fact that *anybody* can get Motif for $1K -- none of this SVR4/sparc/non-unix
nonsense).

>Hope this clears some things up.
It certainly cleared up any questions I might have had.

-- Erik

Disclaimer:   Opinions my own, not SGI's.
              I'm OpenWindows and SPARC are trademarks or copyrights or something.
              Motif too, no doubt.

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (11/22/90)

In article <869@visenix.UUCP> beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) writes:
>In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:
>>The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
>>directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our

>Free is Free.
>Cheap is not Free.
>$995 may (or may not) be cheap but it is not free.
>If redistribution was free you could say
>it was free, but it aint so you can't.

>I get _real_ sick of marketing _lies_.

Hmm.  You seem to have a good point there!  Why couldn't they simply say that
it was available for such and such a fee?  "Free" seems to imply that they
would be willing set up an archive where anyone can ftp it from.  Having
defined "free" that way, perhaps the folks at Sun won't be willing to mention
the word "free" until they put it up on the net?  (The idea that something in
an archive is not free is absurd.  I personally don't pay for it, nor does my
organization.  We pay for net access, I suppose.)

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:

Thanks, I was looking forward to a more detailed explanation.  Unfortunately
I'm more confused now than ever.

>The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
>directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our
Coke is nearly free too, it's actually the bottle that is expensive,
but they don't claim to be giving away free cokes (with a small fee to
cover the packaging and documentation)!  But hey, this is a move in
the right direction, now it's OSF's turn.  I just hope they have the
sense to couch their offer in less slimey rhetoric.

>To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:
>
> o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
> o) SVR4 licensee.
> o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
> o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.

Whoa.  Am I on drugs, or did you just tell me that not only is this
$950 product free, but almost none of the people reading this can
"buy" it?  I'm not a hardware vendor, I'm not a (thank God) SVR4
licensee, I don't develop for non-unix platforms, and I've never
licensed NeWS prior to 1987 (87!?).  Are you telling me I can't
buy this stuff?  If that's the case, the only way a Unix software
developer can buy this stuff is to license SVR4.  If that means
*source* license, then the price of this "free" product suddenly
went up an order of magnitude or so.  If you mean binary license,
then we're all going to have to wait awhile; SVR4 isn't all that
common yet.

I must have read this wrong.  What "license" are you talking about?

>Hardware vendors may deliver OpenWindows binaries on their platform but
>must pay royalties to Sun at the following schedule:

I see you made the same mistake that OSF did.  I don't care what
the hardware vendor pays.  I'm a software vendor.  Suppose I make
this nifty piece of OW software that requires your server.  And
I want to sell it on as many platforms as possible.  But most of
those platforms don't run OW.  So I decide to bundle OW with my
software product.  How much do *I* have to pay you?

>f3 font's are for display only.  Using xnews to drive printers (a la
>NeWSprint) is not covered under this license agreement.  Royalty
>agreements may be arranged on a contractual basis with Sun.

How are you going to enforce that?  Does this means it is illegal
for someone to ship to the net a piece of software that uses this
server to print to a printer?

>The source includes the full source to the X11/NeWS server, the OPEN
>LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit (OLIT), the XView toolkit, and the clients
>clock, cmdtool, shelltool, props, textedit, and olwm.  The 57 standard
>F3 OpenFonts(TM) are included.

Is the XView toolkit covered under the binary distribution royalties?
If so, how do you tell whether I got one from you or off of expo?

>Hope this clears some things up.

Not really.
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (11/25/90)

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:
> The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
> directly from a Sun distributor to get it.

``Six of one, half dozen of another...''

Cut the crap: the source isn't free until it's available by anonymous ftp.

Your charging for the source doesn't bother me.
Your claiming it's free when it clearly isn't, does.

> Hope this clears some things up.

Clear as day.  Thanks.
	...tad

eckert@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (11/25/90)

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton):

> The Part Number for this Source Product is: OWPS-2.0-X-X-5.
>
> The source it NOT freely copiable... it is licensed for free, but the
> licensee may not redistribute the source... or make it available via
> ftp, etc...

Now: The SUN-FLASH announcement told, that the price is for the media,
and that the price for the license is $0. Is it possible to get the license
only (given that one is 5.4 licensee or fit's into one of the other
categories) without any tape or documentation ? If this is possible,
i could copy the sources (which do not cost anything) from a friend who
was willing to pay another 995$. If SUN's interest is to spread OpenWindows,
this should be possible.
--

Toerless Eckert          | /C=de/A=dbp/P=uni-erlangen/OU=informatik/S=eckert
V.4: Noah's ark of Unix  | X.400 ^ Internet> eckert@informatik.uni-erlangen.de

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (11/28/90)

In <488@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) writes:
>Never before have I seen a more deliberately misleading press
>announcement.  There is a huge difference between a $1000.00 source
>licence avaliable only to qualified licensees, and the product that
>was described in your announcement.

I quite agree. I'd been hoping that I'd be able to run NeWS on my
DECstation since I really prefer it to X an environment, and miss
having Suns around. But I'm an impoverished graduate student. I am
quite capable of installing free software off the network (without
tons of books) and using it to good advantage; I do this with a lot of
GNU and similarly-licensed software, and it greatly increases my
productivity. I was expecting to be able to do the same with
OpenWindows after reading that press announcement. Now it turns out
that I was completely misled and am stuck with X and S.O.L.

Sun has done some really nice things in the past in terms of sharing
source code. It doesn't sound like this is one of those times. Calling
this "free software" is really a slap in the face for those
organizations which >do< provide quality free software.
--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu