[comp.windows.news] using psh in Openwindows 2.0 on 386i

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (01/25/91)

I just got a bunch of NeWS programs --  and would like to try them out.
When I type 'psh filename.ps', though, either nothing happens, or I get
a whole series of error messages in my console window.  (I don't know
postscript language, so I don't know what they mean).

The environment is a Sun/386i-150, SunOS 4.0.2, OpenWindows 2.0.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
--
Work: heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
      {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201.ed.ray.com!heiser

flar@bendenweyr.Eng.Sun.COM (Jim Graham) (01/26/91)

In article <3799@tdw206.ed.ray.com>, heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:

|> I just got a bunch of NeWS programs --  and would like to try them out.
|> When I type 'psh filename.ps', though, either nothing happens, or I get
|> a whole series of error messages in my console window.  (I don't know
|> postscript language, so I don't know what they mean).

After looking at an example of one of the NeWS programs that Bill is
trying to psh, I notice that they depend on some discontinued bit of
psh functionality.

In Version 2.0, the capability of the psh command to parse "$n" argument
descriptions was removed since it was causing problems when people tried
to psh PostScript files to the server.  It was decided that psh would
transfer its input to the server without interpretation.  To restore this
functionality, simply use the bourne shell as follows:

Append the following two lines to the top of the file:

	#! /bin/sh
	psh << PSH_EOF

Then append the following line to the end of the file:

	PSH_EOF

This passes the whole script through psh, but the bourne shell will
preprocess the Postscript looking for the "$n" tokens and replacing
them with the corresponding command line arguments before it hands
it to psh.

Now you just have to make the script executable using:

	chmod +x myscript.ps

(You might want to rename it to remove the .ps suffix...)

Now you can just execute the script directly without typing "psh".

					...jim

ba124@cs.city.ac.uk (K.A.Streater) (01/27/91)

In <3799@tdw206.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:

>I just got a bunch of NeWS programs --  and would like to try them out.
>When I type 'psh filename.ps', though, either nothing happens, or I get
>a whole series of error messages in my console window.  (I don't know
>postscript language, so I don't know what they mean).

>The environment is a Sun/386i-150, SunOS 4.0.2, OpenWindows 2.0.

>What am I doing wrong?

I have the same setup (except its a 386i-250), and the most likely cause of
your problems is the version of NeWS that the programs were written for.
A lot of public domain NeWS stuff is still for NeWS1.0/1.1 which was a
separate product before the dawn of OpenWindows.  However ONW2.0 runs
NeWS 2.1, which is again different in respect of several of its 'library'
functions, even over its immediate predicessor in OWN1.0 (which was NeWS2.0).

Without more info though its hard to say exactly what's wrong.

Kevin
-------

K.A.Streater,	        JANET: ba124@uk.ac.city.cs
The City University,	UUCP:  ba124@citycs.UUCP or ..!mcsun!ukc!citycs!ba124
LONDON,                 ARPA:  ba124%cs.city.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay
England.	        Tel:   +44 (71)253-4399 x 4311/4342
SNAIL:  The City University, 311-321 Goswell Road, London, England, EC1V 7DD.

"There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the
Chronicler's mind.", Hitch-Hiker's Trilogy Part IV.