[comp.windows.news] Apple Laser Prep File and xnews Server

daveo@soozie.sbi.com (Dave Bloom) (06/20/91)

I'm having an interesting problem and maybe one of you folks out
there can help me out.

I am using the openwindows xnews server as a filter to rasterize
some PostScript into Sun raster images.  Basically, I add a preamble
to the code I want to rasterize which redefines showpage to dump
the raster into a file instead of painting it on a canvas.  It works
great.

I've tested this with all sorts of PostScript.  The funky part
happens when I take PostScript generated by MS Word on a Mac...
Apparently, the command to capture the PostScript before it hits
the printer prepends the Laserprep file, which is all well and good.
Except for the fact that the file has a series of ASCII hex digits
(pages long) which I assume is some kind of font specification.
When I run this through my rasterizer, it barfs on all the digits,
("undefined"), ignores them but seems to rasterize the file just fine.

The questions:

1) Just what do these digits represent?
2) Are they necessary?
3) Is there a switch I can add to the PostScript which will tell
   my interpeter to ignore them?
3) If not, can we get laserprep files without the mysterious hex?
4) If not, how can I filter them out without blowing away necessary
   stuff?

Please respond by e-mail,  I'm not a subscriber to these groups.
I will summarize and post the results.

Thanx!

Dave Bloom                 "I know that the hypnotized never lie... do ya?"

Salomon Brothers     | voice: (212) 747-6589 | zip:  daveo
1 NY Plaza (43rd Fl) | fax:   (212) 742-2247 | inet: daveo@soozie.sbi.com
New York, NY 10004   |                       |       dave@andromeda.rutgers.edu

woody@chinacat.unicom.com (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (06/22/91)

In article <681@soozie.hera.Sbi.Com> daveo@soozie.sbi.com (Dave Bloom) writes:
>I'm having an interesting problem and maybe one of you folks out

>happens when I take PostScript generated by MS Word on a Mac...
>Except for the fact that the file has a series of ASCII hex digits
>(pages long) which I assume is some kind of font specification.
It contains among other things, some 68000 assembly code.  One of these
snippets of machine language that some one sent me, implements an operator
called tonerlight.  This just sets a byte in memory to either a 0 or ff
to controll the toner out light on the front of the printer.  It's syntax:

<int> tonerlight.
it starts out 6b 31 33 99...  That tidbit of code could be removed, and
you could replace it with something like
/tonerlight {pop} def
Perhaps, If I can get the entire block of hex, I can deduce what the rest of
the stuff is.

cheers
Woody