[comp.windows.news] NeWS "open" / "standard"?

Kevin Broekhoven <BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (06/13/91)

Using the Sun/Scott McNeally definition, OpenLook and X11 are "open" and
"standard" in the sense that the specs are published, they are available
from more that one vendor, and they're available in volume (have I covered
all the bases?)

Where does NeWS fit into all of this?  In the May SunWorld, Scott McNeally
gives an interview where he compares "NeWS to X11" as "Unix to Dos", with
the implication that in some number of years, NeWS will be displacing X11.

Is the technical spec for NeWS published, and freely implementable?  Are there
ports planned to other major platforms?  Or is NeWS a Sun proprietary product
which they expect to be "standard" because Sun will sell it in high volume?
i.e. Will Sun be promoting NeWS as a competing open standard, or as a
"value added" feature of Sun workstations?

I understand that a PostScript extension to X11 is being considered, which
may take a little thunder away from the display postscript abilities of NeWS.

thanks in advance,

Kevin Broekhoven                       Applications Programmer
Computing Services                     Queens University K7L-3N6 (613)545-2235
Bitnet, NetNorth: BROEKHVN at QUCDN    IP: kevin@ccs.QueensU.CA (130.15.48.9)
X.400: Kevin.Broekhoven@QueensU.CA

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (06/15/91)

Yes, the NeWS spec is published and others can implement it.  There is
also code that Sun will let people license (though you'd have to pay
Sun).  Originally Sun intended NeWS to be the standard window system.
They considered it better than X, and indeed there are some technical
arguments for that opinion.  The market had just adopted NFS, and they
hoped the same would happen with NeWS.  It didn't, partly because
other vendors were becoming scared of Sun, and wanted nothing to do
with anything else they initiated, and partly because software for X
was available sooner.  (It's pretty clear that the first plausible
product in an area wins, except in areas where an official standards
process can be used to impose a new standard.)  Thus Sun was forced to
support X, and ended up with OpenWindows, a server that implements
both X and NeWS.  For the moment most applications that are likely to
be used with OpenWindows are based on X.  However Sun says they will
be coming out with new software in the future that uses NeWS, and
takes advantages of its superior capabilities.  Unless they are
successful in getting other vendors to support both X and NeWS,
particularly X terminals (and at least for us, software for 3/50's
used as X terminals), some users may resist using applications based
on NeWS.

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (06/16/91)

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

>The market had just adopted NFS, and they hoped the same would happen
<with NeWS.  It didn't, partly because other vendors were becoming
>scared of Sun, and wanted nothing to do with anything else they
<initiated, and partly because software for X was available sooner.
>(It's pretty clear that the first plausible product in an area wins,
<except in areas where an official standards process can be used to
>impose a new standard.)

	Some how I think that the fact X was freely available had a
lot to do with it.  X was quickly ported to a large range of machines,
mainly, in my opinion, because the source was there for people to play
with.  NeWS costs money and only ran (as far as I know) on SUNs and
SGIs.

->Spike
--
The World - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24,96,192}00bps

gjc@mitech.com (06/17/91)

In article <91164.101625BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Kevin Broekhoven) writes:

> In the May SunWorld, Scott McNeally
> gives an interview where he compares "NeWS to X11" as "Unix to Dos", with
> the implication that in some number of years, NeWS will be displacing X11.

Fantastic anology, perhaps. But an absurd prediction.

In article <91164.101625BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Kevin Broekhoven) writes:

> In the May SunWorld, Scott McNeally
> gives an interview where he compares "NeWS to X11" as "Unix to Dos", with

Given the current growth rates of DOS and Unix actually this is probably
pretty accurate :-).
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (06/19/91)

In article <91164.101625BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Kevin Broekhoven) writes:
[...]
>Is the technical spec for NeWS published, and freely implementable?

Yes, but there is no free "reference port".

>                                                                     Are there
>ports planned to other major platforms?

Not as far as I know.  However it has run on a Macintosh ][ (but not very
fast, Display-ish PostScript is a bit much for a Mac to handle), and an Atari
ST.  RAM was a big problem on both of thoes boxes.  (it wouldn't be if you
used it with a Mac running MacOS 7, and a big disk, and a PMMU).  As far as I
know these are not widely available (i.e. people did them to prove that NeWS
was portable, but the ports were too slow to sell...).

>                                         Or is NeWS a Sun proprietary product
>which they expect to be "standard" because Sun will sell it in high volume?

I think Sun thought it would be a "standard" because it was "open", and
they thought "better".  I think it failed because there was no free refernce
port, but who can tell?

>i.e. Will Sun be promoting NeWS as a competing open standard, or as a
>"value added" feature of Sun workstations?

I don't think Sun has ever sold software for Workstations that don't run
SunOS (well, except TOPS).  However SunSoft's charter does not seem to
prohibit this...

>I understand that a PostScript extension to X11 is being considered, which
>may take a little thunder away from the display postscript abilities of NeWS.

As far as the drawing stuff it will take some of it away (of corse Sun has
had longer to make NeWS fast, so mabie it would be a good thing for Sun...
if people use the PostScript extension to X11, they will want it to be fast).
However NeWS also has an input model, and object extentions, and intersting
grarbage collection (you can use an object in such a way that your reference
to it doesn't incrment the refernce counter, and you get some sort of destroy
event when the object vanishes.  Very handy for things like window managers,
or subclassing...).
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (06/20/91)

I wish I could find the article I read the other day. The author said
that X is winning out over NeWS because certain big league players
were still steamed over the acceptance of NFS as a standard, particularly
those who had made large investments in what they considered to be better
products. They just weren't going to let NeWS win, even if it was
better -- expecially if it was better. (Me? I think it's because nobody wants
to type "NeWS" with that stupid little e in it, or explain in conversation
that they mean "NeWS" not "news".)

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (06/20/91)

I'll regret this message, as usual, I expect.

Many people (myself included) dispute the claim NeWS is
"better" than X.  Value judgements are always difficult.  For
example, that I can't write (in the original NeWS,
before the X11/NeWS stuff where I can use X facilities to get my
job done) with reasonable performance imaging
applications that I used to be paid to develop I considered fatal
to any such claim; the ECAD folks have had similar problems with NeWS.

I have other, more fundamental problems with the overall design
of NeWS, but these problems are somewhat more philisophical in
nature, rather than simple pragmatics to getting my job
(and many other people's jobs) done.

Of course, you can dismiss me as biased, if you like :-).  As the
market seems to have spoken, it generally does not help anyone to
beat up on NeWS, so I generally avoid it.

A better analogy in my opinion is that X and NeWS are different fruits;
comparing apples and oranges is always a dangerous topic.  My
opinion has been that both the wide availability of X, and the
fact that NeWS made life hard for a good chunk of the applications
developers in the market, were two of the keys to X's sucess.  But then,
what do I know. :-)

Jim Gettys
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory

eric@aquarius.sfu.ca (Eric Kolotyluk) (06/22/91)

I'm glad to see there's still some life in the X vs NeWS discussion,
so here's my two bits worth:

I've written code for X, NeWS, and Display PostScript (NeXTstep).
I still find NeWS to be the most effective coding environment for
a number of reasons.

1) The PostScript model is far "better" than X.  For example, if I
   want my X application to display grey scale on a monochrome
   display I have to encode all the dither maps and then manage
   all the stipple switching myself.  In PostScript I just set the
   grey level and draw.

2) Unlike an X window server, a PostScript window server is
   dynamically extensible.  I can taylor the look and feel where
   it's most important, on screen rather than across the network.
   Unlike Display PostScript, NeWS does primary event handling in
   the server.  This can dramatically reduce the number of events
   that have to be transfered across the networks.  In general,
   modern computer netorks work best with large quantities of data
   (tranmitted less frequently) rather than zillions of tiny event
   packets.  And over dial-up slip connections, X is barely usable
   whereas NeWS applications can perform remarkably well.

3) The architecure of X is very primative from a systems aspect.
   It's crazy the amount of low level issues you have to worry
   about writing X applications (like if you don't handle your
   events fast enough you make the server very upset).

4) The NeWS OOPS extenstions to PostScript offer a lot of potential.
   I really wish Adobe ahd consider such extensions in Display
   PostScript.  OOPS also greatly simplifies PostScript programming.

5) If I were paying people to write code I would rather they not
   have to learn an manage too many differnt graphics systems.  With
   X you have to learn X for screen work and somthing else (probably
   PostScript) for printer work.  Using PostScript on screen and on
   printer reduces the load on the programmers.

If X is so great, why is there now a Display Postscript extension?
Unfortunately there isn't a NeWS extension to X.

While there are many rumors and ideas why X is doing so much better
than NeWS, here's a few more for the pot:

- No company will ever admit they didn't want Sun to add another
  de facto industry standard to their resume (an so endorsed an
  inferior technology like X). Everyone knows companies don't really
  do things like that.  More likely, DEC and IBM invested a lot
  in Project Athena, so they (and others) simply marketed X more
  agressively than Sun (who had less invested in NeWS).

- NeWS was never as accessible as X (and still isn't).  First you
  had to pay for it, which meant securing funding, typing purchase
  requisitions, waiting and waiting for the courier...  X was
  easily available via ftp.

- Sun must have done something to alienate Adobe, why else would
  Adobe work so closely with NeXT to develop Display Postscript.

- While SGI initially embraced NeWS, and even had a better
  implementation than Sun, SGI seem to be abandoning NeWS.
  Rumor has it that Sun was not very cooperative with SGI,
  wouldn't even accept bug fixes from SGI.  SGI spent a lot
  of time and money working on NeWS, but didn't receive
  adequate support from Sun.

While NeWS is probably the "best" windowing system today, Sun's
poor handling of the early marking and vendor/customer relations
has much to do with the success of X.

If Sun are still serious about NeWS (it still isn't clear that
they are), they should do a better job of marketing it, and an
even better job of playing nicely with other vendors in order
to promote greater industry support for NeWS.  They might start
by making peace with Adobe (and apologising to SGI).

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (06/25/91)

>1) The PostScript model is far "better" than X.  For example, if I
>   want my X application to display grey scale on a monochrome
>   display I have to encode all the dither maps and then manage
>   all the stipple switching myself.  In PostScript I just set the
>   grey level and draw.
Better for some things, worse for others.   Rasterops and
colormaps are real useful things for a lot of applictions.

Postscript imaging and X imaging are different.  Each has its
uses.

>2) Unlike an X window server, a PostScript window server is
>   dynamically extensible.  I can taylor the look and feel where
>   it's most important, on screen rather than across the network.
>   Unlike Display PostScript, NeWS does primary event handling in
>   the server.  This can dramatically reduce the number of events
>   that have to be transfered across the networks.  In general,
>   modern computer netorks work best with large quantities of data
>   (tranmitted less frequently) rather than zillions of tiny event
>   packets.
Straw man (IMO).   This argument ignores the added complexity
of doing the event handling in the server (in terms of server size
and performance) and the hassle of debugging a program that is
split across multiple machines and languages.   There are tradeoffs
either way -- doing everything in the server not such a clear win.

I still remember the arguments from (some) NeWS folks in the early
days of X that it was absolutely impossible to get good interactive
performance for things like rubber-banding and outline dragging
without handling events in the server.   On more than one occasion
we'd go and demostrate perfectly acceptable tracking to these people
only to hear them make the same claim in a different forum a week
later.

>And over dial-up slip connections, X is barely usable
>   whereas NeWS applications can perform remarkably well.
No argument here.   If your bandwidth is low you need to
do more work in the server.

>3) The architecure of X is very primative from a systems aspect.
>   It's crazy the amount of low level issues you have to worry
>   about writing X applications (like if you don't handle your
>   events fast enough you make the server very upset).
I've never run into this problem.   Are your clients runnning on
a particularly slow host?   Xlib is low level -- it's supposed
to be.   Try one of the many toolkits available for X (InterViews,
Andrew, etc).

>4) The NeWS OOPS extenstions to PostScript offer a lot of potential.
>   I really wish Adobe ahd consider such extensions in Display
>   PostScript.  OOPS also greatly simplifies PostScript programming.
I'll steal a line from your posting:  "If PostScript is so great, why is
there now an OOPS extension."   PostScript is a great page description
language.   As a general purpose programming language, I'll pass.

>5) If I were paying people to write code I would rather they not
>   have to learn an manage too many differnt graphics systems.  With
>   X you have to learn X for screen work and somthing else (probably
>   PostScript) for printer work.  Using PostScript on screen and on
>   printer reduces the load on the programmers.
Postscript is great for some things (generally for things that overlap
with printers).   For those things, you have Display Postscript.   I
wouldn't want to write a flight simulator in postscript, though.

>If X is so great, why is there now a Display Postscript extension?
>Unfortunately there isn't a NeWS extension to X.
Because PostScript is good for some things, while X rendering
is good for others.   I'm not sure what a NeWS extension to
X would be.

>- No company will ever admit they didn't want Sun to add another
>  de facto industry standard to their resume (an so endorsed an
>  inferior technology like X). Everyone knows companies don't really
>  do things like that.  More likely, DEC and IBM invested a lot
>  in Project Athena, so they (and others) simply marketed X more
>  agressively than Sun (who had less invested in NeWS).
This conspiracy theory nonsense has been around for a long,
long time and it's pure garbage.   I worked for IBM (doing X -- in fact,
I was the only person writing servers at IBM for a number of months) at
the time and IBM was dragged kicking and screaming into X.   X was written
and promoted by engineers in universities and at a number of companies.

X gained support because it had a relatively large user community, was
demonstrably portable, and was adequate for most of the applications
people wanted to write.   Also, people were getting tired of having
20 different ways to do graphics and wanted to settle on something
(anything!) that was good enough to get the job done.  X was a known
quantity and was good enough.

The amusing and annoying thing about this consipiracy crap is that
it always seemed to me (back then) that NeWS was an attempt to
derail X because Sun couldn't stand having a widespread standard
they hadn't originated.   It seemed to me that Sun was petulant
about the existence of something they didn't control.

At the time it seemed (to me) like we had engineers from a surprisingly broad
collection of companies and universities cooperating to produce a window system and
then you had Sun off on the sidelines jumping up and down and screaming.

I've since gotten to know some of the people involved (from Sun) better,
and tempered my opinions somewhat.

Get a few things straight, though.  X was *NOT* a reaction to NeWS.
Project Athena was *NOT* commisioned to create X.   IBM in
particular did *NOT* even like X a whole lot.

>- NeWS was never as accessible as X (and still isn't).  First you
>  had to pay for it, which meant securing funding, typing purchase
>  requisitions, waiting and waiting for the courier...  X was
>  easily available via ftp.
Bingo.   NeWS was never open or available.

>- Sun must have done something to alienate Adobe, why else would
>  Adobe work so closely with NeXT to develop Display Postscript.
Maybe, maybe not.    Someone from Adobe should comment.   The
comments I heard from (friends at) Adobe was that they consider
PostScript to be a page description language (i.e. fairly special puprpose)
and that NeWS added a lot of warts to it to try to make it a general
purpose programming language.   For what it's worth, I heard some
grumbles about some of the additions NeXT made to postscript as well.
I have no idea what Adobe's official position (if it even has one).

>While NeWS is probably the "best" windowing system today, Sun's
>poor handling of the early marking and vendor/customer relations
>has much to do with the success of X.
I (and many people) disagree with the statement that NeWS is the
"best" windowing system today.

>If Sun are still serious about NeWS (it still isn't clear that
>they are), they should do a better job of marketing it, and an
>even better job of playing nicely with other vendors in order
>to promote greater industry support for NeWS.  They might start
>by making peace with Adobe (and apologising to SGI).
Uh.  Best of Luck.

-- Erik

bmacinty@mud.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) (06/26/91)

>1) The PostScript model is far "better" than X.  For example, if I
>   want my X application to display grey scale on a monochrome
>   display I have to encode all the dither maps and then manage
>   all the stipple switching myself.  In PostScript I just set the
>   grey level and draw.
Erik> Better for some things, worse for others.   Rasterops and
Erik> colormaps are real useful things for a lot of applictions.

I think many people are arguing about NeWS based on old versions of it.

NeWS has colormaps and allows them to be used in the obvious ways
(see createcolormap, createcolorsegment).

NeWS allows you to specify rasterops for it's graphics operations
(see setrasteropcode)
ie.  Yes, it is possible to do XOR drawing (in response to some mail I
     received pertaining to this discussion, but have since lost)

Erik> This argument ignores the added complexity
Erik> of doing the event handling in the server (in terms of server size
Erik> and performance)

Which, on todays workstations, is not a real issue.  IMO.

Erik> and the hassle of debugging a program that is split across
Erik> multiple machines and languages.

Hastle?  Hmmmm ... when there is a clear split of functionality between
the interface and the rest of the application, it should _help_ with
debugging.

Erik> I still remember the arguments from (some) NeWS folks in the early
Erik> days of X that it was absolutely impossible to get good
Erik> interactive performance for things like rubber-banding and outline
Erik> dragging without handling events in the server.  On more than one
Erik> occasion we'd go and demostrate perfectly acceptable tracking to
Erik> these people only to hear them make the same claim in a different
Erik> forum a week later.

Absolutely impossible would be a stupid thing to say.  However, I would
agree that you would get better performance, IN GENERAL, by having
things like rubber-banding in the server.  Of course, I usually get
satisfactory performance from my X stations.  Then again, we have fast
hardware and a fairly unloaded network.

>3) The architecure of X is very primative from a systems aspect.
>   It's crazy the amount of low level issues you have to worry
>   about writing X applications (like if you don't handle your
>   events fast enough you make the server very upset).
Erik> I've never run into this problem.   Are your clients runnning on
Erik> a particularly slow host?   Xlib is low level -- it's supposed
Erik> to be.   Try one of the many toolkits available for X (InterViews,
Erik> Andrew, etc).

The fact remains that there is an enormous amount of activity happening
in the server, and as a user I am often forced to use the toolkit that
the application writer used.

For example, the interface for a program I am writing using tk and tcl
is forever fixed using the widget set of tk.  I don't have to worry
about the low level stuff, but it is still tucked inside that program.

Now, by writing the same thing in NeWS, I can easily switch the toolkit,
assuming that they are "compatible" ... ie.  I switched from TNT2.0 to
Tabwindows without having to change my application at all.

All of my applications now have that same look and feel.  The interface
is consistent.  Not so with my X applications.

Erik> I'll steal a line from your posting: "If PostScript is so great,
Erik> why is there now an OOPS extension."

... you answered your own question ...

Erik> PostScript is a great page description language.  As a general
Erik> purpose programming language, I'll pass.

So, there is an OOPS extension.

Erik> Postscript is great for some things (generally for things that
Erik> overlap with printers).  For those things, you have Display
Erik> Postscript.  I wouldn't want to write a flight simulator in
Erik> postscript, though.

Well, I wouldn't either.  But, I would have no objection to implementing
the actually drawing in postscript ... you know, the interface, the part
of a NeWS program that should be written in postscript.  The number
crunching stuff would be in C ... what's the big deal?

Ever played acm (the X flight simulator) over a network?  It's not
exactly zippy, and I don't see how having the drawing done in postscript
would be any worse.  In fact, I can even imagine in being faster.  The
number crunching would be done on my server, and the drawing would be
done on the various workstations (for each user).  Multiprocessing is a
great thing, after all.

Erik> Because PostScript is good for some things, while X rendering
Erik> is good for others.   I'm not sure what a NeWS extension to
Erik> X would be.

Hmmm ... I have yet to see anything that X can do that NeWS can't.
--
Blair MacIntyre, Computer Graphics Lab
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L3G1

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (06/26/91)

I knew I'd regret any comments :-).

Remember that the decisions that decided NeWS vs. X were being made some
years ago.  The point about colormaps/rasterops stuff was true when the industry
was making up its mind...  That it has been fixed since is irrelevant to
the discussion about why people went the way they did.

More of an issue (and to my knowledge, still unsolved in NeWS w.o. X) PostScript
has very poor semantics at the boundary between filled areas; the easiest
example where this hurts badly is ECAD, where parts of a drawing must be able
to be updated without disturbing adjacent areas.  You must have a tie-breaking
rule, and not fill both edges of a filled area.  This is irrelevant when painting
on paper, as the issue never even surfaces.

Moral is: pixels on screens aren't quite small enough to take the view that
you can't notice each and every pixel touched; the fact is, you can.  At 300 dpi,
where PostScript was designed, you can (usually) get away with it.

And I'm not going to get sucked into a more general discussion, particularly
on general systems design philosophy; if you want more detail about our opinions,
go read the special issue on X in Software Practice and Experience that just
came out recently (I got my copy last week), though this doesn't go into
specific criticisms of NeWS (afterall, it is papers about X, not critique of
NeWS).  You'll have lots of fun with it; it goes into all the things we really
did wrong, given the general design point.

Availability was the other major issue.
				- Jim Gettys

eric@tangerine (& Kolotyluk) (06/26/91)

>Straw man (IMO).   This argument ignores the added complexity
>of doing the event handling in the server (in terms of server size
>and performance) and the hassle of debugging a program that is
>split across multiple machines and languages.   There are tradeoffs
>either way -- doing everything in the server not such a clear win.

If the complexity of NeWS is too much to handle in the window server,
perhaps we should abandon X and go back to dumb ASCII terminals.  I
think technology is always going to get more complex in order to
provide more function.  As far as doing everything in the window server
goes, not everything should go into the window server, but at least
with NeWS you have a choice of what goes where.

Yes, there can be challenges writing and debugging spit applications,
but, like writing multithreaded applications, often the benefits in
functionality are worth the challenges.

>I still remember the arguments from (some) NeWS folks in the early
>days of X that it was absolutely impossible to get good interactive
>performance for things like rubber-banding and outline dragging
>without handling events in the server.   On more than one occasion
>we'd go and demostrate perfectly acceptable tracking to these people
>only to hear them make the same claim in a different forum a week
>later.

While I would never go so far as to say that anything was absolutely
impossible, I think the issue of things like rubber-banding is not so
straigtforward.  Sure X can support rubber banding and other animation
effects, but at what cost in terms of other resources like network
bandwith and systems interrupt handling response time?  I'm primarily
a network person by background so I'm away of all sorts of network
issues that most people (especially the X developers) may have taken
for granted.  My biggest concerns about X have been related to how well
it can scale to larger and more diverse types of networks.  X is extremely
waistful of network bandwith by nature of its architecture.

>I've never run into this problem.   Are your clients runnning on
>a particularly slow host?   Xlib is low level -- it's supposed
>to be.   Try one of the many toolkits available for X (InterViews,
>Andrew, etc).

Is a Sun SPARCstation 1+ a slow client/server?  One program I have, which
performs a lot of stipple creation/changing seems to be able to overwhelm
the server side and produce glitches.  When delays are inserted into the
code, the server side seems to keep ok.  I'm running OpenWindow by the way.
At Interop last year, one of tutorials on X programming stressed several
of the systems issued to be aware of in overwhelming the server and not
responding quick enough to the server.  Is Xview considered a toolkit?
Again the issue is an architectural one, programming in an X environment
is like programming in an MS-DOS environment, sure you can hide the system
with higher layer interaces, but that result in a more complex solution
in the long run.

>I'll steal a line from your posting:  "If PostScript is so great, why is
>there now an OOPS extension."   PostScript is a great page description
>language.   As a general purpose programming language, I'll pass.

I think the reason there's an OOPS extension to PostScript (in NeWS)
is to make the PostScript programming environment an even better one.
While I wouldn't want to implement a database in PostScript, I wouldn't
want to write a window system in Cobol either.  The point is language
applicabilty.  One of the features I especially like about NeWS is being
able to try out new ideas interactively through psh or pageview.  I find
prototyping can go much faster in NeWS (via PostScript) than in X (via C).

>Postscript is great for some things (generally for things that overlap
>with printers).   For those things, you have Display Postscript.   I
>wouldn't want to write a flight simulator in postscript, though.

Right, I wouldn't want to write a fligh simulator in PostScript either, but
you could (I think Sun's NeWS lunar lander is an example of this).

>Because PostScript is good for some things, while X rendering
>is good for others.   I'm not sure what a NeWS extension to
>X would be.

Since Display PostScript doesn't support OOPS and server-side event handling,
I'd want those sorts of things in in a NeWS extension to X.  Actually, what
I really want is for OpenWindows to support Display PostScript, then I can
have a window server that supports all the important applications.

>This conspiracy theory nonsense has been around for a long,
>long time and it's pure garbage.   I worked for IBM (doing X -- in fact,
>I was the only person writing servers at IBM for a number of months) at
>the time and IBM was dragged kicking and screaming into X.   X was written
>and promoted by engineers in universities and at a number of companies.

I agree.  I was trying to add some sarcasm to the conspiracy theory.
Thanks for the insight into IBM.

>X gained support because it had a relatively large user community, was
>demonstrably portable, and was adequate for most of the applications
>people wanted to write.   Also, people were getting tired of having
>20 different ways to do graphics and wanted to settle on something
>(anything!) that was good enough to get the job done.  X was a known
>quantity and was good enough.

The point I agree with most strongly is that X was good enough for most
people.  Most programmers just wanted to get on with programming.  Most
marketing types just wanted something to market.  The problem with "good
enough" arguments is that IBM PCs and MS-DOS are "good enough."

>The amusing and annoying thing about this consipiracy crap is that
>it always seemed to me (back then) that NeWS was an attempt to
>derail X because Sun couldn't stand having a widespread standard
>they hadn't originated.   It seemed to me that Sun was petulant
>about the existence of something they didn't control.

I can't say whether Sun were petulant or not, but just because someone
has an aggrevating personality doesn't mean they don't have some good
ideas.

>At the time it seemed (to me) like we had engineers from a surprisingly broad
>collection of companies and universities cooperating to produce a window
>system and
>then you had Sun off on the sidelines jumping up and down and screaming.

Good point.  Sun certainly weren't much a team player in the window
systems community.

>I've since gotten to know some of the people involved (from Sun) better,
>and tempered my opinions somewhat.

Since I started using X windows, I've tempered my views somewhat too.

>Get a few things straight, though.  X was *NOT* a reaction to NeWS.
>Project Athena was *NOT* commisioned to create X.   IBM in
>particular did *NOT* even like X a whole lot.

I wasn't trying to promote those ideas, but thanks for the clarification
for others who thought I might be.

>Maybe, maybe not.    Someone from Adobe should comment.   The
>comments I heard from (friends at) Adobe was that they consider
>PostScript to be a page description language (i.e. fairly special puprpose)
>and that NeWS added a lot of warts to it to try to make it a general
>purpose programming language.   For what it's worth, I heard some
>grumbles about some of the additions NeXT made to postscript as well.
>I have no idea what Adobe's official position (if it even has one).

From what I've heard, Adobe never realized the importance of PostScript
in display applications either.

>I (and many people) disagree with the statement that NeWS is the
>"best" windowing system today.

That's what these discussions are for; for people to make their cases.
Thanks for sharing yours.

cwpjr@cbnewse.cb.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (06/26/91)

In article <594@mitech.com>, gjc@mitech.com writes:
> In article <91164.101625BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Kevin Broekhoven) writes:
> >
> > In the May SunWorld, Scott McNeally
> > gives an interview where he compares "NeWS to X11" as "Unix to Dos", with
> > the implication that in some number of years, NeWS will be displacing X11.
>
> Fantastic anology, perhaps. But an absurd prediction.

The future means throwing more mips at existing, hidebound, nothing
new under the sun software...

Therefore the more the software can shine with more mips the more likely
it will do better in the *future*...

I think diplay postscript will DO BETTER with these mips than "X"...

Clyde