[comp.compilers] Side note on linkers

johnl@ima.UUCP (08/21/87)

In article <678@ima.ISC.COM> bct <bct@its63b.ed.ac.uk> writes:
> I was involved with the production of compilers related to the MUSS system.
>...It was not advertised to the users that the compilers were not generating
>native code, and the linker was doing a little more than linking.

  The same technique was used recently by Dave Hansen at Arizona, when his
group realized that the compilers & assemblers both had partial resolvers
which were duplicated in the linker.  And that linking was really little
more than a merge-sort.
  I tried the same trick and the linker ran faster than the system
linker i was using...
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its