[comp.compilers] Recommendable 68k C compilers

johnl@ima.istc.sri.com (08/19/87)

I need to find out what optimizing C compilers exist for the 68000. I
have found, based on personal experience, that while Green Hills makes
an awesome optimizing compiler, it gives up too much performance by
using 32 bit ints, and it would be too painful to change the existing
code I need to compile.

Does anyone out there know of a C compiler for the 68k that uses 16
bit ints and is of comparable quality to the Green Hills compiler?

Thanks in advance,
-Zigurd
--
Send compilers articles to ima!compilers or, in a pinch, to Levine@YALE.ARPA
Plausible paths are { ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale | cca}!ima

johnl@ima.UUCP (08/20/87)

In article <672@ima.ISC.COM> you write:
>I need to find out what optimizing C compilers exist for the 68000. I
>have found, based on personal experience, that while Green Hills makes
>an awesome optimizing compiler, it gives up too much performance by
>using 32 bit ints, and it would be too painful to change the existing
>code I need to compile.

We use the Green Hills compiler here.  I don't see how Green Hills
burns performance by using 32-bit ints.  Especially since they seem to
benchmark faster than any other compiler!  :-)  In general it seems to
be a win, as the compiler places variables in registers whenever
possible, and the 68000's registers are 32-bit.  My first take was that
16-bit int's might be more efficient, but there is some added overhead
for clearing out the upper part of the register.

Can you justify your statement?
--
Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	ucbvax!trwrb!felix!preston

zrm@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Zigurd R. Mednieks) (08/21/87)

In article <683@ima.ISC.COM> decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!felix!preston (Preston Bannister) writes:
>We use the Green Hills compiler here.  I don't see how Green Hills
>burns performance by using 32-bit ints.  Especially since they seem to
>benchmark faster than any other compiler!  :-)  In general it seems to

The Macintosh Programmer's Workbench compiler is the Green Hills
compiler and it bechmarks about 10% slower than the fairly simple
Aztec C and LightspeedC compilers. I've read tons of GreenHills
generated code and I know the potential is there, considering how good
the code is, but the fact remains that on 68000s, using 32 bit ints
does cost you at least 10% in performance. Let me emphasize that the
68000, not the 68020, is the target for which those benchmark figures
hold true. I would expect the Green Hills compiler to do much better
on the 68020.

By the way, there is no need to clear the high word of a register when
using the default 16-bit word length on 68000 instructions. I would
rather see a compiler's cleverness applied to taking good advantage of
16 bit ints than frittered away on compensating for 32 bit ints.

-Zigurd
--

johnl@ima.UUCP (08/23/87)

In article <672@ima.ISC.COM> you write:
>I need to find out what optimizing C compilers exist for the 68000. I
>have found, based on personal experience, that while Green Hills makes
>an awesome optimizing compiler...

I have cross-posted this to comp.sys.mac, where a discussion of
the remarkably poor code-generation of Mac-targeted 68k C compilers
is going on (in rn, use /stupid/b).  Cross-fertilization seems in order...
 --dave
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its