[comp.compilers] Name that PD parser generator

corbett@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Corbett) (09/06/89)

     I have been asked to come up with another name for Zoo, since there is
apparently an archiver named Zoo.  I do not see the problem.  If you have the
other Zoo on your system, please feel free to change the name of one or the
other.  Nonetheless, I am willing to entertain suggestions for other names.
To start the ball rolling, I will mention that Zoo was originally named Zeus
(a terrible choice) and Bison was originally named Byson.  Please reply to
me rather than posting to news (save the bandwidth).

     To those who feel I acted irresponsibly in not checking for name clashes
before making my program available, please feel free to not put Zoo on your
systems.

						Yours very truly,
						Bob Corbett
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@ima.isc.com or, perhaps, Levine@YALE.EDU
{ decvax | harvard | yale | bbn }!ima.  Meta-mail to ima!compilers-request.

djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones) (09/11/89)

>From article <1989Sep6.152554.318@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us>, by corbett@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Corbett):
>
>      I have been asked to come up with another name for Zoo, since there is
> apparently an archiver named Zoo.

I've just finished a yacc-lookalike.  I might have been able to use
Zoo, but when I started this one Sunday, I hadn't read about Zoo
yet. Well, there were some other reasons I wanted to do one from scratch,
besides the copyrights on other ones. For one thing, I wanted LR(1), not
LALR(1).

Anyhow, I too am puzzling over a name.

I used "Molly McYacc" as a working title. But I think I'm going to
go with "jaccl", sort of following through on the wild mammal motif.
It stands for "just another compiler-compiler lookalike".

Either that, or perhaps Mr. Corrbet will allow me to use the second best
name he receives. How about it, Robert? May I see the name list, after
you've picked over it?
[From djones@megatest.uucp (Dave Jones)]
--

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (09/12/89)

In article <1989Sep11.015824.1006@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> Dave Jones writes:
| besides the copyrights on other ones. For one thing, I wanted LR(1), not
| LALR(1).

SSL, by Rick Holt, is an LR(N) parser generator, and as far as I know
it is freely available.  Does anyone (who isn't at Toronto :-) use
this?  (SSL == Syntax Semantic Language, by the way.)
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>
--

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (09/13/89)

In article <1989Sep12.013014.1720@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
>In article <1989Sep11.015824.1006@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> Dave Jones writes:
>| besides the copyrights on other ones. For one thing, I wanted LR(1), not
>| LALR(1).
>
>SSL, by Rick Holt, is an LR(N) parser generator, and as far as I know
>it is freely available.  Does anyone (who isn't at Toronto :-) use
>this?  (SSL == Syntax Semantic Language, by the way.)

	S/SL is used here at Bell-Northern Research. In fact it was
	partially funded by BNR. I used it at Queen's University when I
	took a compiler course from Jim Cordy (one of the designers).
	S/SL is simple, elegant, and very easy to develop and maintain.
	I was quite impressed. Unfortunately all the reference material
	I have on S/SL is proprietary. (It's so simple however, that
	little is required)

	The reference you want is:
		Cordy, J.R. and Holt, R.C. [1980] Specification of S/SL:
		Syntax/Semantic Language, Computer Systems Research Institute,
		University of Toronto.

	The address is:
		CSRI, University of Toronto
		Sanford Fleming Building,