[comp.compilers] lex and yacc reference books

worstell@iris.ucdavis.edu (Glen Worstell) (10/03/90)

In a recent news item someone suggested a book by O'Reilly for
information about lex and yacc.  I'd suggest that that particular
text is quite poor - for example there is almost no mention of
precedence.  Also, some of the examples don't even work.

I found the (free) documentation for flex and bison to be much better.
Thanks...

Glen Worstell
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
{ima | spdcc | world}!esegue.  Meta-mail to compilers-request@esegue.

vern@lau.ee.lbl.gov (Vern Paxson) (10/04/90)

In article <9010030525.AA07946@iris.ucdavis.edu> worstell@iris.ucdavis.edu (Glen Worstell) writes:
>In a recent news item someone suggested a book by O'Reilly for
>information about lex and yacc.  I'd suggest that that particular
>text is quite poor - for example there is almost no mention of
>precedence.  Also, some of the examples don't even work.
>
>I found the (free) documentation for flex and bison to be much better.

The book is "lex & yacc", by Mason & Brown, published by O'Reilly &
 Associates.  I'm reviewing it for an upcoming edition of ";login:".

I have to agree with Glen - the book, unfortunately, is very low caliber.
I'm finding it difficult to condense my criticisms of it into the requested
450 words.  It's a pity, since I think there's a real niche for a good
yacc/lex book.

		Vern

	Vern Paxson				vern@helios.ee.lbl.gov
	Real Time Systems			ucbvax!helios.ee.lbl.gov!vern
	Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory		(415) 486-7504