[comp.compilers] Span-Dependent Instructions

preston@libya.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (01/04/91)

I wrote:
>Has anyone ever measured the efficacy of any of these algorithms?

and the moderator noted
>[Szymanski's papers have some effectiveness results.  His first paper reports
>that in some pile of PDP-11 code, his algorithm shortened considerably more
>branches than the one the assembler used. -John]

Actually, I meant more along the lines of runtime improvements.  My personal
speculation is that this whole area is a source of only insignificant
improvements.  I could easily be wrong though -- that's why I was wondering
about empirical measurements.

Preston Briggs
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@iecc.cambridge.ma.us or
{ima | spdcc | world}!iecc!compilers.  Meta-mail to compilers-request.