[comp.compilers] Bourne shell script compiler?

cek@wsc-sun.boeing.com (Conrad Kimball) (02/23/91)

I'm looking for a Bourne shell script compiler - that is, a compiler that
accepts a Bourne shell (sh) script as input and produces C code as output.
I have a vague recollection that such things exist, but can someone point
me to them?  I'm working with Sun equipment, though I'm open to stuff that
hasn't been ported to Sun but that DOES have source code that I could use
to do my own port.  PD is preferable to commercial products.

--
Conrad Kimball 		 Boeing Computer Services     (206) 865-6410
Email: cek@wsc-sun.boeing.com or cek%wsc-sun@atc.boeing.com

In article <791@wsc-sun.BOEING.COM> cek@wsc-sun.boeing.com (Conrad Kimball) writes:
>I'm looking for a Bourne shell script compiler - that is, a compiler that
>accepts a Bourne shell (sh) script as input and produces C code as output.

Based on some experience with a pre-Bourne (!) shell compiler, long ago,
the benefits of such a thing are limited unless it incorporates extensive
knowledge of the more common programs invoked from shell scripts.  Running
a shell script comprises parsing, interpretation (variables etc.), and
execution (fork/exec) of programs.  A simpleminded shell compiler eliminates
the parsing and streamlines much of the interpretation, but it's the execution
that is usually the bottleneck.  You won't see a big win unless the compiler
is smart enough to optimize out some of the execution.
--
Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology, henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry