[comp.compilers] Help... want a summer course on compilation

px%fct.unl.pt@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Joaquim Baptista [pxQuim]) (03/26/91)

Greetings,

I would like to attend a summer course on compilation, specifically,
compilation of dynamic object-oriented languages, or logic approaches
to the same.

I'm working in producing an object oriented system with a logic
approach, and see what good comes out of it.

I heard that Stanford, the designers and implementors of SELF, have
regular Summer courses.  I've read the "SELF collection" and, generally
speaking, I like their approach, and ever better, their compilers.
However, I was unnable to track down these courses.  I found no
announcements, no publicity.  I must admit that I'm not sure of where
to look.  Our faculty is not very strong in compilation, so there is
nobody who can help me.

Any info that you might have on this topic is welcome, whether it's
a contact person, a magazine to search, or whatever.

Thanks in advance,

--------

Joaquim Manuel Soares Baptista

email:  px@fct.unl.pt  px@unl.uucp  px@fctunl.rccn.pt (old)
Fax & Sound: +351-1- 295 4461
Snail: CRIA - Uninova, Fac. de Ciencias e Tecnologia
       Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 2825 Monte de Caparica
       PORTUGAL
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@iecc.cambridge.ma.us or
{ima | spdcc | world}!iecc!compilers.  Meta-mail to compilers-request.

hoelzle@leland.stanford.edu (urs hoelzle) (03/28/91)

In article <9103251838.AA01606@host.fct.unl.pt>, px%fct.unl.pt@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Joaquim Baptista [pxQuim]) writes:

> I heard that Stanford, the designers and implementors of SELF, have
> regular Summer courses.  ...

There is something called Western Institute of Computer Science; WICS
organizes summer courses at Stanford.  Last year, they had two compiler
courses (RICSs by Graham/Hennessy/Ullman and Parallel Architectures
by Gupta/Lam), and I think they'll have them again this summer.  Be
warned that the courses are fairly expensive ($2500 / week + hotel etc).
However, there won't be any course on compiling for OO languages.

I can dig out their phone number; send mail if you're interested.

(There will be a Self tutorial at ECOOP'91, but it will focus more on
the language than on compilation issues.)

Urs Hoelzle                 			       hoelzle@cs.stanford.EDU
Center for Integrated Systems, CIS 42, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305
--

rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) (03/29/91)

In article <9103251838.AA01606@host.fct.unl.pt> px%fct.unl.pt@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Joaquim Baptista [pxQuim]) writes:
>[Want info on courses on] compilation of dynamic object-oriented languages,
>or logic approaches to the same.

Stanford University's Dept. of Computer Science runs a "Western Institute
in Computer Science" each summer. I attended one week of a two week
course in Compiler Construction/Programming Language Translation, Code
generation and Optimization, taught by Graham, Hennessy, and Ullman.
It was excellent! I want to go back and pick up the other half of the course.

The compiler course is $1225 per week, but if you take both halves,
it's only $2200usd. (July 29-August 9). If you don't register within 21
days in advance, the cost goes up to $2650!

They have a number of other courses as well, but nothing specific that I could
see on compilers for object-oriented languages.

Call or write:

Joleen Barnhill, Program Manager
WICS
PO box 1238, Magalia, California 95954

Phone (916) 873-0575

I hope this helps you out... Bob

Robert Bernecky      rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.com  bernecky@itrchq.itrc.on.ca
Snake Island Research Inc  (416) 368-6944   FAX: (416) 360-4694
18 Fifth Street, Ward's Island, Toronto, Ontario M5J 2B9, Canada