[comp.compilers] yacc specifications for HP's SPL.

nechodom@cs.utah.edu (Kevin Nechodom) (04/05/91)

Has anyone out there written up a yacc specification for the HP3000's SPL
language? (I'm thinking, maybe HP labs?)

Thanks much.

Kevin Nechodom
U of Utah CSSRD
NECHODOM@CC.UTAH.EDU
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@iecc.cambridge.ma.us or
{ima | spdcc | world}!iecc!compilers.  Meta-mail to compilers-request.

dhandly@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Dennis Handly) (04/10/91)

The SPL compiler for the HP3000s (Non PA-RISC) is basically a recursive
descent ad-hoc compiler.  (You wouldn't want to look at the code.)  It
tries to optimize everything at a peep-hole basis.  It is difficult to
maintain.

HP's COBOL compiler for HP3000s uses better technology that that.  It uses
3 LALR parsers, one for each 'real' division.

Anyway, there was an attempt to use TWS to write a grammar for SPL so that
it could be translated to HP-Pascal.  It wasn't used very much.  I forget
what parts of the language had difficulties.

I don't know what Splash!, a third party product, is using for its
parsing.

I think there were other companies that offered a SPL to C translator.
--

defaria@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) (04/12/91)

>dhandly@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Dennis Handly) / 10:24 pm  Apr  9, 1991 writes:
>I think there were other companies that offered a SPL to C translator.

I think that company is COGNOS.  This is a highly successful Canadian
based 4th GL supplier (POWERHOUSE) who had a large investment in Classic
3000 SPL code.  COGNOS realized that they needed their product on other
platforms and SPL is Classic 3000 only.  Plus, even HP was going to more
open systems with MPE/XL and re-writing the OS from SPL to Pascal.
COGNOS, however, decided the C would be a better target language and wrote
an SPL->C translator.  I believe they also sell this translator.