[comp.compilers] INFs and NaNs

richarda@cec825.atl.hp.com (06/18/91)

In article <91-06-016@comp.compilers>, bill@hcx2.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
>As far as I know, there is only _one_ kind of mathematics.  The FORTRAN
>standard is referring to real mathematics, not any particular means of
>approximating mathematics.

Dealing with error values (such as INF, divzero, etc.) does not necessarily
preclude one from "mathematicality."  I seem to recall that the folks working
on dataflow architectures rigorously defined the math for propogating error
values so that traps, etc., would not be necessary.  I don't recall the author
but I believe the title of the paper  was Error Values in Val.

--
Send compilers articles to compilers@iecc.cambridge.ma.us or
{ima | spdcc | world}!iecc!compilers.  Meta-mail to compilers-request.

presberg@compass.com (David Presberg) (06/19/91)

In article <91-06-024@comp.compilers> richarda@cec825.atl.hp.com writes:

>   ... I seem to recall that the folks working on dataflow architectures
>  rigorously defined the math for propogating error values so that traps,
>  etc., would not be necessary.  I don't recall the author but I believe the
>  title of the paper was Error Values in Val.

Try "VAL -- A Value-Oriented Algorithmic Language: Preliminary Reference
Manual", William B. Ackerman, Jack B. Dennis, MIT/LCS/TR 218, June 13, 1979.
There are probably more recent articles or tech. reports on the language.
Careful attention is given to the behavior of all forms of computational
(e.g., "undef" operands of an operator, "miss_elt" -- missing component --
of an array object), and arithmetic errors (e.g., there are 20 rules for
errors in integer operations alone, more for reals).

- Pres
        David L. Presberg, Compass, Inc.
Domain: presberg@compass.com
 .5&.5: compass!presberg@think.com
uucp:   {think,bu.edu,cvbnet}!compass!presberg
Nicname:    Pres