[comp.std.unix] Machine Readable ANSI C Std?

std-unix@longway.TIC.COM (Moderator, John S. Quarterman) (03/16/88)

From: Russ Nelson <uunet!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!nelson>

Is there a machine readable copy of the ANSI C standard available?
 "   "   "   "  available via anonymous ftp?
-russ

[ I don't think so.  Does anyone know for sure?  -mod ]

Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 24

williams@nrl-css.arpa (03/24/88)

From: williams@nrl-css.arpa

	Is there a machine readable copy of the ANSI C standard available?
	 "   "   "   "  available via anonymous ftp?
	-russ

	[ I don't think so.  Does anyone know for sure?  -mod ]

	Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 24

Alas, no.  ANSI makes its money from publishing standards.  If there was
a machine readable copy of the standard around for anonymous ftp, then many
people would get a hold of it that way, rather than buy it from ANSI.
Therefore, we can not distribute it electronically.  (We do, of course,
keep it on a computer for editing purposes, but it isn't available to
the public.)

My own personal opinion is that standards ought to be developed by some
sort of subsidized, not-for-profit organization, and be available at media
cost.  (For all I know ANSI may BE "not-for-profit".  That still doesn't
mean they'll give away the standards they create.)

If you want a paper copy of the current Draft, write to the address below.
(This came from a previous std-unix posting.)

                Global Press
                2625 Hickory St.
                P.O. Box 2504
                Santa Anna, CA 92707-3783
                U.S.A.
                800-854-7179
                +1-714-540-9870 (from outside the U.S., ask for extension 245.)
                TELEX 692 373

[ They moved.  More currently, they appear to be:

		Global Engineering Documents
		2805 McGaw
		Irvine, CA 92714
		USA
		+1-714-261-1455
		+1-800-854-7179

-mod ]

Ask for the X3.159 draft standard.  The price is $65.

Jim Williams
X3J11, The ANSI C Committee

There is no 'd' in "kluge"!  It rhymes with "deluge", not "sludge".

James W. Williams			williams@nrl-css.arpa
Systems Administrator, Code 5505
Information Technology Division
Naval Research Laboratory		(202) 767-9035
Washington, DC 20375

Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 29

std-unix@longway.TIC.COM (Moderator, John S. Quarterman) (03/24/88)

From: uunet!brl-smoke.ARPA!gwyn (Doug Gwyn )

In article <137@longway.TIC.COM> Russ Nelson <uunet!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!nelson> writes:
>Is there a machine readable copy of the ANSI C standard available?
> "   "   "   "  available via anonymous ftp?

The X3J11 draft redactor has his own machine-readable (troff -mm)
copy of the draft standard, but previous requests for copies of it
have been answered with the observation that it would be an
additional burden for someone (e.g. the redactor) and that resources
have not been made available to support this.  Occasionally it is
suggested that it would be nice to do so, and we agree it might be
"nice", but it hasn't been done.  I would say it seems rather
unlikely at this point.

One argument against the idea has been that it would make it easy
for someone to crank out copies of a document that looked like the
official standard but that had deviations from it, which is deemed
undesirable.

Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 30

std-unix@longway.TIC.COM (Moderator, John S. Quarterman) (03/26/88)

From: uunet!crdos1!davidsen (William E. Davidsen Jr)

In article <143@longway.TIC.COM> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <uunet!brl.arpa!gwyn>) writes:
| [...]
| One argument against the idea has been that it would make it easy
| for someone to crank out copies of a document that looked like the
| official standard but that had deviations from it, which is deemed
| undesirable.

Of course it would also (a) cut the money that Global Press makes
selling the standard ($1 per page????) and would allow sites to keep it
online to improve use for it.  I would think CBEMA would want to sell
site licenses for the document.

[ What does ``to improve use for it'' mean?  -mod ]
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 33

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (04/02/88)

From: ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre)

In article <142@longway.TIC.COM>:
>From: williams@nrl-css.arpa
>
>	Is there a machine readable copy of the ANSI C standard available?
>Alas, no.  ANSI makes its money from publishing standards.  If there was
>a machine readable copy of the standard around for anonymous ftp, then many
>people would get a hold of it that way, rather than buy it from ANSI.
>My own personal opinion is that standards ought to be developed by some
>sort of subsidized, not-for-profit organization, and be available at media
>cost.  (For all I know ANSI may BE "not-for-profit".  That still doesn't
>mean they'll give away the standards they create.)

Licensing the standards documents would be another alternative, then you'd
have competition among the various licensees for price and the kinds of
distributions available.  Another alternative would be charging members for
ANSI membership, but this might discourage smaller companies from joining,
(or encourage large companies to stack the deck) and politicize the process
even more.

There's no reason that USENIX or some similar group couldn't come up with a
Unix standard, but that would violate the spirit of what ANSI is trying to do.

[ I'm pretty sure the USENIX board of directors wouldn't be interested.
Doubtless everyone is aware that IEEE 1003 began as the /usr/group Standards
Committee, and that /usr/group currently sponsors the /usr/group Technical
Committee, which investigates areas that 1003 hasn't reached yet.  -mod ]

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA