[ont.events] Theoret.Aspects Sem.-Lower Bound Argu.for Rand.Acc.Mach.

voula@utcsrgv.UUCP (Voula Vanneli) (02/01/85)

Theoretical Aspects Seminar - Thursday, February 14, 4 p.m.,
SF 1105
                     Dr. Wolfgang Maass
             University of Illinois at Chicago

     "Lower Bound Arguments for Random Access Machines"

Abstract:  We prove optimal nonlinear lower bounds on random
access machines for two decision problems (Element Distinct-
ness and a pattern matching problem).  The arguments involve
finitary  versions  of  two concepts from mathematical logic
(order indiscernables and inaccessible numbers).

                      February 1, 1985

pdbain@wateng.UUCP (Peter Bain) (02/04/85)

In article <727@utcsrgv.UUCP> voula@utcsrgv.UUCP (Voula Vanneli) writes:
>Theoretical Aspects Seminar - Thursday, February 14, 4 p.m.,
>SF 1105
>                     Dr. Wolfgang Maass
>             University of Illinois at Chicago
>
>     "Lower Bound Arguments for Random Access Machines"
>
>Abstract:  We prove optimal nonlinear lower bounds on random

Uh, excuse a dumb question, but WHERE IS THIS BEING HELD? Ontario is a BIG
province, and I don't relish the though of going around to a dozen or
so universities and asking "Do you know where SF 1105 is?".  I suspect
it's at T.O., but I can't be sure.
	-peter
--
   - peter bain
...!{allegra|decvax|clyde|ihnp4 }!watmath!wateng!pdbain

mwherman@watcgl.UUCP (Michael W. Herman) (02/05/85)

> Subject: Re: Theoret.Aspects Sem.-Lower Bound Argu.for Rand.Acc.Mach.

Maybe UoT can provide a <????> to English translator for their subject lines
as well as posting dates, times and locations.  :-)