[comp.std.unix] USENIX Standards Updates

dsill@relay-nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (12/12/88)

From: Dave Sill <dsill@relay-nswc.navy.mil>

First, let me say that I respect Shane McCarron, value his opinions on
standards-related issues, and appreciate USENIX's efforts to promote
standards awareness.

But...

The latest Standards Update was far too editorial.  In fact, it seems
to have become more of a soapbox for Mr. McCarron than an attempt to
make the masses aware of recent progress in standardization.  In
particular, Part 3, NIST (NBS) Federal Information Processing
Standards contained about one and a half paragraphs reporting what
NIST has done recently and expects to be doing in the future, but four
and a half paragraphs of opinion on the worthiness of their approach.

Apparently Mr. McCarron has trouble making the distinction between
journalism and editorialization.  The Standards Update should be just
that: an update of the progress of standardization efforts.  There are
other, more appropriate, forums, such as this mailing list/newsgroup,
for Mr McCarron's opinions.

This problem has already been brought to his attention.  In Part 8,
POSIX 1003.7 Update, he writes:
    "When I last wrote about this group, I was very critical of
    its charter and the possibility of it succeeding.  I think
    it only fair to relate that a number of people wrote me and
    said that I was too judgemental, and that I should take a
    wait and see attitude.  Bowing to the will of the people, I
    am not going to draw any conclusions about the working group
    at this time.  After the January meeting, when they have
    formalized the areas they are going to address, I will
    relate all of that information and you can decide if what
    they are doing is a good thing.  In the interim, if you want
    more information, or would like to share your opinions with
    me, please drop me a line."

Exactly, Mr. McCarron, relate the information and let the reader form
his own opinion.

=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.

"Money is congealed energy."
					-- Joe Campbell

Volume-Number: Volume 15, Number 49

jsq@usenix.org (John S. Quarterman) (12/15/88)

From: John S. Quarterman <jsq@usenix.org>

There seems to be a misunderstanding about the purpose of the Standards
Updates that Shane McCarron writes.  As the USENIX Institutional
Representative, who commissioned them, let me attempt to clarify
that purpose.

These reports are part of the involvement of the USENIX Association in
standards activities, which was explained in some detail in the article
which I posted immediately after the most recent set of update
articles, on volunteers for the USENIX Standards Watchdog Committee.
There is another document that is specifically about the kind of
information desired for these reports, and I have just posted it,
as well.  Those are comp.std.unix Volume 15, Numbers 45 and 46.

However, to address the specific common misconception:

	Exactly, Mr. McCarron, relate the information and let
	the reader form his own opinion.

The facts are adequately related in the minutes of the various
standards committee meetings, and these reports are not intended to
duplicate those documents, which anyone can subscribe to directly from
IEEE and the other standards bodies.  What they *are* intended to do is
to provide context that does *not* appear in the minutes, such as
relations with other committees, plans (whether actual, tentative, or
rejected), the various sides of controversial issues, and the potential
effects of all these.  Brief summaries of what was accomplished at the
most recent meetings and schedules of future meetings are also part of
this context, but are far from all that the reports were commissioned
to report.  The basic goal of the reports is to provide information to
the USENIX membership and to the general public about standards and the
standards process, so that more of those who should be involved will
become involved.

This kind of contextual information involves opinions, either Shane's
or someone else's.  The reports are supposed to be editorials, not just
journalism.  Readers may not agree with opinions in them.  I encourage
those who disagree to submit articles pointing out what they think is
incorrect about the reports (anything from factual errors to being too
judgemental to long-windedness), and expressing their own opinions.
Even those who agree might want to post clarifications, elaborations,
or additions.

In addition, chairs or secretaries (or members) of committees are free
to post rebuttals, or, better, to compose and post their own reports
(whether strictly factual or including opinions) about their committees.
The chair of IEEE 1003.2 has done this (Volume 15, Number 28).  I encourage
others to do so.

John S. Quarterman, USENIX Institutional Representative to IEEE 1003.

[ These reports were commissioned specifically for comp.std.unix/std-unix
and for ;login:, the Newsletter of the USENIX Association.  As moderator
of that newsgroup and mailing list, I once again encourage other postings.
Readers are also welcome to contact me, Shane, or other posters directly.
-mod ]

Volume-Number: Volume 15, Number 50

dsill@relay-nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (01/05/89)

From: Dave Sill <dsill@relay-nswc.navy.mil>

>From: John S. Quarterman <jsq@usenix.org>
>The facts are adequately related in the minutes of the various
>standards committee meetings, and these reports are not intended to
>duplicate those documents, which anyone can subscribe to directly from
>IEEE and the other standards bodies.

I must confess that I've assumed all along that the purpose of the
Updates was to summarize the various minutes so Usenix members and
readers of this group wouldn't have to subscribe to them directly, as
well as including any other relevant standards-related information.

>The basic goal of the reports is to provide information to
>the USENIX membership and to the general public about standards and the
>standards process, so that more of those who should be involved will
>become involved.

I totally agree that this is the goal.

>[...] This kind of contextual information involves opinions, either
>Shane's or someone else's.  The reports are supposed to be
>editorials, not just journalism.

Yes, opinions are important; but not just Shane's.  What I want to
read about is the opinions of the movers and shakers in
standardization and the prevailing opinions of the user community.
I don't think we can expect Shane's opinions to be an accurate
representation of such a large and diverse group.  Also, I disagree
that reporting on controversial subjects and opinions either implies
or requires editorialization.  These Updates are not just stating
common or representative opinions, they are taking sides and promoting
the opinion of one individual.

Let me reiterate a point I made at the opening of my previous posting.
I respect Shane McCarron and value his opinions.  I just wish he'd
express them under separate cover.  Let comp.std.unix/std-unix be the
forum for personal opinion and the Standards Updates be an objective
report of the developments and issues.

=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.

"Without the wind, the grass does not move.
 Without software, hardware is useless."

					-- The Tao of Programming

Volume-Number: Volume 15, Number 56

jsq@usenix.org (John S. Quarterman) (01/05/89)

From: John S. Quarterman <jsq@usenix.org>

>I must confess that I've assumed all along that the purpose of the
>Updates was to summarize the various minutes so Usenix members and
>readers of this group wouldn't have to subscribe to them directly, as
>well as including any other relevant standards-related information.
>Also, I disagree that reporting on controversial subjects and
> opinions either implies or requires editorialization.

Minutes of IEEE 1003 meetings tend to be quite long, and there
are many of them.  Reducing them to a quickly legible size would
involve massive selection.  That selection itself would involve
opinions of an editor.  Such opinions would be implicit, but they
would be there, even in this apparently most neutral approach.

Because such opinions would be implicit, there would be danger
of their being taken as fact by people who did not read the full
minutes.

Simple summaries of minutes would have another disadvantage:
the minutes tend to be very laconic and often do not record
larger issues such as all the arguments on both sides of a
discussion (some of which may have appeared in previous minutes,
in the rationale, or may simply not have been recorded), or
the context of a discussion or decision in a larger controversy,
or some of the implications of a decision for other standards or
external groups.  This kind of information is not widely available,
and it is one of the main things that is wanted in these reports.
The USENIX board has wanted to have this kind of information available
since at least 1984, and a mechanism has only recently been found.

>Yes, opinions are important; but not just Shane's.  What I want to
>read about is the opinions of the movers and shakers in
>standardization and the prevailing opinions of the user community.

Other such opinions have been explicitly solicited in previous articles.
Such opininions can be either submitted directly to the moderator of
comp.std.unix or the editor of ;login: for posting, or they can given
to Shane for inclusion in the reports he writes.  Volunteers on the
watchdog committee are also explicitly asked to provide opinions of
their own.

>I don't think we can expect Shane's opinions to be an accurate
>representation of such a large and diverse group.

I know of no one's opinions that can be so regarded.

>These Updates are not just stating common or representative opinions,
>they are taking sides and promoting the opinion of one individual.

One person's common or representative opinion is another person's
controversial issue.  However, the reports are *intended* to take sides.
People who take other sides are, once again, encouraged to speak up
with their own discussions of the issues.

>Let comp.std.unix/std-unix be the forum for personal opinion and the
>Standards Updates be an objective report of the developments and issues.

Thank you for your input.

Volume-Number: Volume 15, Number 58

domo@uk.co.sphinx (Dominic Dunlop) (01/11/89)

From: domo@uk.co.sphinx (Dominic Dunlop)

I'm all in favour of Usenix' effort to summarise progress and by-play
in a number of standaridisation forums.  It has been commented firstly that
the summaries show the effect of editorial decisions, and secondly that
editorial input -- whether explicit or implicit -- is a necessary part of
the production of any summary -- particularly a useful summary.  I can't
find any fault in either of those statements.

The only way to know exactly what is going on in any one forum is to
participate in its activities yourself.  If the activities of a particular
group are vitally important to you, I urge you to participate.  You'll find
yourself being roped into the work of the group, and that's all to the
good -- Parkinson's Law applies in committee work as in other aspects of
life.  You'll also get to have some interesting meals with interesting
people in interesting places.  (The same applies to drinks, if that appeals
to you.)  What's more, participate now, and you may get to write reports
for Usenix, so involving yourself in the editorial process!  In my
experience, the most difficult aspect of participation is getting somebody
to pick up the tab -- although some people with more devotion than I have
been known to pay out of their own pockets in order to attend!

The trouble with participating in a group is that you get to know only
about the activities of that group, and possibly those peripheral areas
of other group which ahve an effect your own work.  There simply are not
enough hours in the day (or synapses in the brain, particularly after
experiencing some of those drinks) for any one person to participate
even in all the activities taking place under the Posix umbrella, never
mind getting involved with other bodies such as ANSI, EWOS (who?), ISO,
JIS...  (and anyway, the expense would be horrendous).

As a result, in order to get anything like a global picture of what's going
on, it's essential to rely on summaries.  To make a large and pontifical
generalisation, it seems to me that one of the main ways in which things
get done in this world is through decisions made on the basis of a
knowledge of summaries, rather than through an intimate knowledge of the
details of a particular aspect of a particular situation.  Politicians are
briefed on many topics by experts; managers act on the basis of reports
from their juniors; people send money in response to pictures of a disaster
on TV.  All of these sources of information involve an editorial element,
and it's that which makes them more, rather than less, useful.  More power
to Usenix' elbow for its much-needed initiative in applying this concept to
standards activities.

(Another reason that things get done is that driven people just go ahead
and do them anyway...)
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp