[comp.std.unix] Question re: International UNIX

std-unix@longway.TIC.COM (Moderator, John S. Quarterman) (04/01/89)

From: Ping Lin <uunet!hub.toronto.edu!ping>

I have heard that there is a standard (or industry consensus) on
International UNIX under development, which supports the
requirements of different foreign languages.  Would anyone have
further information on this UNIX?

P. Lin
(ping @ hub.toronto.edu)

Volume-Number: Volume 16, Number 26

std-unix@longway.TIC.COM (Moderator, John S. Quarterman) (04/12/89)

From: uunet!jhereg.Jhereg.MN.ORG!mark (Mark H. Colburn)

In article <328@longway.TIC.COM> Ping Lin <uunet!hub.toronto.edu!ping> writes:
>From: Ping Lin <uunet!hub.toronto.edu!ping>
>
>I have heard that there is a standard (or industry consensus) on
>International UNIX under development, which supports the
>requirements of different foreign languages.  Would anyone have
>further information on this UNIX?

There is POSIX, the IEEE working groups on portable operating systems.
The POSIX 1003.2 working group has dealt with some of the
internationalization problems which have been identified.  There are
several international groups, such as /usr/group and EUUG which are
helping 1003.2 in the internationalization areas.

ANSI C also deals with some internationalization issues.  ANSI C is
assumed, but not required for POSIX. If you are not aware of these
two efforts, it might be a good place to start.

--
Mark H. Colburn                  "Look into a child's eye;
Minnetech Consulting, Inc.        there's no hate and there's no lie;

Volume-Number: Volume 16, Number 27