[comp.std.unix] Reactions to the 12/1989 Standard Summaries

randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson) (12/03/89)

From: randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson)

Before I get into the technical reactions, I'd like to make public
complaints about the way that the IEEE is handling access to draft
materials from the 1003 working groups.  I have contacted the IEEE
by phone and postal mail asking how to get mailings of the drafts
so that I can comment on the proposals on a timely basis.  The IEEE
has verbally indicated that they "would get back to me" with details
on how to do this but have not.  My employer isn't going to send me
off to actually join the committees and I'm not independantly wealthy
so it just isn't possible for me to take a more direct role.

I am appreciative of the efforts of the USENIX Watchdog Group, but
wish that those of us on the sidelines could get more response from
the IEEE on how to get the draft materials for review before they become
standards.

  I am concerned that both 1201 and 1003.8 are going to end up giving
a rubber-stamp to existing commercial products (however good they might
be) rather than giving us the portability and functional capabilities
that might be needed.

  The discussion of the problems when multiple processes are accessing
the same file through a TFA mechanism is well taken.  As a developer of
software I want to have a clearly defined behavior.  If there are
"options" it is much more difficult (if not impossible) to write
portable software.  If there is inadequate definition of the behavior
or definition in any way inconsistent with a strict interpretation of
1003.1, it again seriously diminishes the usefulness of the resulting
standard.  NFS is a fine product; I would hope that the committee
will look beyond it however to something that gives more guarantees
about the behaviour of writes and reads.  If 1003.8 is mostly a rubber
stamp of NFS, it will not do most of us much good.

  The API of 1201.1 should NOT be based primarily upon OpenLook, Motif,
NeXT Step, and the Apple Macintosh.  Instead, what is needed is a generic
interface that will provide a complete set of routines that aren't bound
to any specific existing GUI.  I believe that all GUIs have much room
for improvement (especially in the International arena where icons for
the US often make little sense) and I don't want reasonable improvements
to be locked out by a poorly designed standard.

  I don't have enough information to comment specifically on what
1201.2 is trying to accomplish, but again I do not want to see the
IEEE rubber stamp Motif, OpenLook, or any other "style."  It is
premature for the IEEE to standardise the style at this point.

  I feel (and have felt since the original trial-use standard) that
the 1003.1 standards group erred in having quite so many options
to the standard.  It appears that the NIST agrees since the FIPS
interpretation of 1003.1 eliminated the worst of these uncertainties.
Other standards groups in the 1003 and 1201 area should pay particular
attention to this and avoid creating standards that have optional
behaviour.  If published standards have options, the marketplace will
eventually narrow them down to a de facto single standard option and
this narrowing down is precisely the point of having standards groups.

  Regards,

   Randall Atkinson
   randall@Virginia.EDU

   Opinions are the author's.

Volume-Number: Volume 17, Number 86

std-unix@longway.TIC.COM (Moderator, John S. Quarterman) (12/05/89)

>From: randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson)

>Before I get into the technical reactions, I'd like to make public
>complaints about the way that the IEEE is handling access to draft
>materials from the 1003 working groups.  I have contacted the IEEE
>by phone and postal mail asking how to get mailings of the drafts
>so that I can comment on the proposals on a timely basis.  The IEEE
>has verbally indicated that they "would get back to me" with details
>on how to do this but have not.  My employer isn't going to send me
>off to actually join the committees and I'm not independantly wealthy
>so it just isn't possible for me to take a more direct role.

Actually, it is possible.  Monthly in this newsgroup you will find an
article that lists contact addresses for all the IEEE 1003, IEEE 1201,
X3J11, ISO, and related standards and related bodies.  All the IEEE
standards committees have mailing lists which anyone can subscribe to
(you may be required to be a member of IEEE).  There is a fee, which is
usually about $100 per group per year.  You don't have to attend the
meetings to get the mailings.  It is quite possible that IEEE sometimes
doesn't respond as quickly as would be desired, but that's a different
question (which I will attempt to answer in a few days under while
wearing a different hat).

That article, Subject: Access to UNIX-Related Standards,
is currently kept up to date by Susanne W. Smith of Windsound
Consulting, which is why you now see it being posted again after a nine
month hiatus after the first two years or so when I posted it.  If you
feel information is missing from it, or if you have other comments you
want to make about it or its companion articles, send mail to her at
sws@calvin.wa.com or me and we will attend to it.  The next version
of those articles will appear in the next week or so.

John S. Quarterman, Texas Internet Consulting <jsq@longway.tic.com>

Volume-Number: Volume 17, Number 87

mark@jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) (12/05/89)

From: mark@jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn)

In article <459@longway.TIC.COM> randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson) writes:
>From: randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson)
>
>Before I get into the technical reactions, I'd like to make public
>complaints about the way that the IEEE is handling access to draft
>materials from the 1003 working groups.  I have contacted the IEEE
>by phone and postal mail asking how to get mailings of the drafts
>so that I can comment on the proposals on a timely basis.  The IEEE
>has verbally indicated that they "would get back to me" with details
>on how to do this but have not.

There are a number of ways that you can participate.  One of the ways to do
this is as a corresponding group member to one of the IEEE 1003.? or 1201
groups.  If IEEE is not giving you then information, then you should let
either Shane McCarron, Secretary TCOS-SS or Jim Issak, Chair TCOS-SS know
about it so that IEEE may be properly chastised.

The idea behind the corresponding group is that you receive mailings 8
times a year.  These mailings contian minutes and information from the
meetings, and also contain drafts of the material being presented.  These
mailings are LARGE, especially if you subscribe to more than one group.

There has been a great deal of success with the corresponding members in
the past.  This tradition will no doubt continue.  The Corresponding Group
members are just as much of a part of the commitee as the ones that
actually attend the meeting.  Several notable people including Richard
Stallman, Dennis Richie and David Korn have all provided input to the
working groups without attending meetings often, if at all.

The mailings are not free.  There is a charge associated with receiving
these mailings, however, it is much less expensive than attending the
meetings themselves.

If you would like more information regarding the mailings, you should
contact:

                       Charles Haberman
                       NAPS International
                       117 Mackubin Street, Suite 6
                       St. Paul, MN 55102

                       +1 612 224 9239

The mailings are also a good way to find out when there are ballot groups
forming for the various working groups.  Note that being a corresponding
group member does not automatically enter you into the balloting group.

--
Mark H. Colburn                       mark@Minnetech.MN.ORG
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

Volume-Number: Volume 17, Number 90