[net.news.group] The need for anonymous postings

booth@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/09/84)

> From: bytebug@pertec.UUCP (roger long)
>
> > From: ucla-cs!booth
> > Someone privately mentioned the need for anonymous postings to newsgroups.
>
> Does anyone really agree that people have the right to post anonymously
> to the net?

No one should have the *right* to post anonymously, though there is a *need*
for anonymous postings.  Each anonymous posting should probably be sponsored
by some non-anonymous individual who (necessarily) knows the authors identity.

		-- David Booth
{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!booth    booth@ucla-locus.ARPA

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (11/10/84)

Agreed; one very good reason for anonymous postings is the ability to
make sensitive self-revelations.  Another, perhaps less-justifiable
one is a posting from someone whose does not want their employer/
administrator to know about it.

In both cases anonymous postings can contribute to freedom of speach
without any malicious intent or effect whatever.  However, I like the
idea of having some identified person make the actual posting to
avoid complete irresponsibility.  This could be a moderator (it's
already happened) or some other sponsor (and once again, this has
happened many times).  But I don't like at all the idea of completely
unidentified postings.

Comments?

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg "Bucket" Woods) (11/15/84)

> Agreed; one very good reason for anonymous postings is the ability to
> make sensitive self-revelations.  Another, perhaps less-justifiable
> one is a posting from someone whose does not want their employer/
> administrator to know about it.

   I think these priorities are reversed. If you don't identify yourself,
then I can't consider it a "self-revelation". If you aren't willing to
take responsibility for what you said, it doesn't mean doodley squat.

   The second of these is tougher for me to relate to, because I can post
pretty much what I please here as long as I rotate anything which might be
offensive to some people. But I *can* see this as a real issue. But even
here, if you aren't willing to stand behind what you said, it doesn't show
very much conviction (at the very least, it shows that your job is more
important to you than the whatever principle it is that you are backing in an
anonymous article) and I'm probably going to want to invalidate it.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!stcvax | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!stcvax}
       		        !hao!woods

     "...once in a while you can get shown the light
         in the strangest of places if you look at it right..."