[comp.std.unix] 1003.2: command name changes

vyw@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov (WHITE V L) (01/09/90)

From: WHITE V L <vyw@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov>
To: isaak@decvax.dec.com
Cc: std-unix

Jim Isaak, Chairperson, IEEE/CS P1003

I am very concerned about the reports from the 1003.2 subcommittee that
the names of many commands are being changed for the standard;
I am led to believe that "lint" is being renamed "lint89" and that
the C compiler is now "c89".    I, for one, don't want the inconvenience of
learning to type new names for such common commands.  I don't want
to revise all my makefiles or scripts solely to change a command name
and I can't believe anyone who had to support an entire operating system
would like it any better.   And finally, this particular name change
hints that every time any command is modified, its name will change to
reflect its version number, which could generate quite a number of
command name changes per year.

I assume that the new versions of these programs are sufficiently similar
to the old versions so that they accept most of the same options and arguments
and respond with most of the same behavior (if not, they should be
considered entirely new programs).  If this is the case, most scripts
would not need to be rewritten to accomodate them unless the command name
changed.  I agree with editor Jeffrey Haemer that if the old command is
still needed, IT should be renamed.

I understand from the regular summary of standards groups posted
on comp.std.unix that Hall Jespersen and Don Crayun chair and co-chair
1003.2, but their addresses were not included in the summary, which
stated that comments on subcommittees should be addressed to the 1003
chair.  If I should address these comments elsewhere, please let me know.

Thank you.

Vicky White
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
vyw@ornl.gov

Volume-Number: Volume 18, Number 11

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/31/90)

From: Doug Gwyn <gwyn@smoke.brl.mil>

In article <514@longway.TIC.COM> Donn Terry <donn@hpfcrn.hp.com> writes:
>I have been trying, so-far unsuccessfully, to get 1003.2 to reserve a
>namespace to the vendors for options for these commands (at least) ...

My recommendation for years has been that vendor additions be confined
to upper case, leaving lower case options for the (gradually growing)
standard environment.

Volume-Number: Volume 18, Number 32

kingdon@ai.mit.edu (Jim Kingdon) (02/04/90)

From: kingdon@ai.mit.edu (Jim Kingdon)

    My recommendation for years has been that vendor additions be confined
    to upper case, leaving lower case options for the (gradually growing)
    standard environment.

But this way every time an option gets standardized, all
implementations and users have to change.  This does not accord with
"minimal changes to existing practice".  Long options (e.g. "ls +all
+format long" (or "ls +all +fo l" if those abbreviations are
unambigous) instead of "ls -al"), however, are less likely to conflict
with each other, so this is the way to go particularly for options
not used interactively or options rarely used.

Volume-Number: Volume 18, Number 40

donn@hpfcrn.hp.com (Donn Terry) (02/06/90)

>From: kingdon@ai.mit.edu (Jim Kingdon)
>
>    My recommendation for years has been that vendor additions be confined
>    to upper case, leaving lower case options for the (gradually growing)
>    standard environment.
>
>But this way every time an option gets standardized, all
>implementations and users have to change.  This does not accord with
>"minimal changes to existing practice".  Long options (e.g. "ls +all
>+format long" (or "ls +all +fo l" if those abbreviations are
>unambigous) instead of "ls -al"), however, are less likely to conflict
>with each other, so this is the way to go particularly for options
>not used interactively or options rarely used.

If there is a reserved namespace for vendors, then they can freely
add symbols in that namespace.  If/when a feature becomes standardized,
it is standardized into the namespace reserved for the standard.  As long
as the vendor has sense enough to accept the old flag as a synonym (at
least for a while) nothing breaks.   The breaks occur when the vendor
didn't use the reserved namespace (possibly because there was none)
and the standard usurps that symbol for something else.  (Probably because
some other vendor had used it for something else which was valuable.  The
usual compromise here is to use a new letter (with no mnemonic value!)
that no-one is using.)

Again, one man's existing practice is another's gratuitous change.

Donn Terry (again, speaking only for myself)

Volume-Number: Volume 18, Number 49