[comp.std.unix] FIPS Announcement

kuhn@swe.ncsl.nist.gov (Kuhn) (02/27/90)

From: Kuhn <kuhn@swe.ncsl.nist.gov>

		FIPS Update - February 26, 1990

NIST will soon propose a Federal Information Processing Standard based on
Draft 9 of 1003.2 (Shell and Utilities).  The announcement will be published in
the Federal Register, to be followed by a 90-day comment period.  The
proposed FIPS will exclude features that are expected to change in the final
version of 1003.2, as was done with the FIPS proposal based on Draft 8.
The details of excluded items will appear in the Federal Register
announcement, which will also be sent to this list on the day it is published in
the Federal Register (approximately 30-60 days from now).

FIPS 151-1 (1003.1) is expected to be approved by the Secretary of Commerce
within 3 weeks.

Rick Kuhn
Technology Bldg.  B266
(formerly National Bureau of Standards)
Gaithersburg, Md.  20899

301/975-3337
301/590-0932 - FAX

DDN:    kuhn@swe.ncsl.nist.gov

Volume-Number: Volume 18, Number 59

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (03/02/90)

From: meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks)

can you perhaps tell me how I can obtain a copy of draft 9, and perhaps
when draft 10 is due to appear??

Thanks!!
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

Volume-Number: Volume 18, Number 62

std-unix@longway.TIC.COM (Moderator, John S. Quarterman) (03/03/90)

From: Doug Gwyn <uunet!smoke.brl.mil!gwyn>

In article <547@longway.TIC.COM> Rick Kuhn <kuhn@swe.ncsl.nist.gov> writes:
>proposed FIPS will exclude features that are expected to change in the final
>version of 1003.2, as was done with the FIPS proposal based on Draft 8.

Could somebody please explain why these "POSIX" FIPS keep getting based on
non-final versions of the IEEE 1003.n standards?  That really interferes
with the standardization process!

Volume-Number: Volume 18, Number 61