[comp.std.unix] Sendmail and international character sets

pnr@ngs.fi (Pekka Nikander) (04/13/90)

From: pnr@ngs.fi (Pekka Nikander)

Just for your information:

  The European Unix systems User Group (EUUG) is in business of making
  a sendmail version that will support various 646 character sets,
  8859 sets, etc.  The current implementation is now in alpha test.
  Furthermore, the whole design may still change.  We are expecting to
  release the diffs to beta test some time this year.  Please do not
  ask when, since this is being done by a couple of EUnet people at
  their spare time.

  If you would like to have more information, or indicate your
  willingness to operate as a alpha or beta test site, please do not
  hesitate to contact Keld Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk> of the Danish Unix
  systems User group, or me.

--
Pekka Nikander                         Internet: pnr@ngs.fi -or-
Finnish Unix User Group (FUUG)                   Pekka.Nikander@ngs.fi

Volume-Number: Volume 19, Number 62

std-unix@longway.TIC.COM (Moderator, John S. Quarterman) (05/02/90)

From: Doug Gwyn <uunet!smoke.brl.mil!gwyn>

In article <648@longway.TIC.COM> cns@mtunm.uucp writes:
>is it going to include greek? or better: if i type something in greek
>on my unix terminal in athens, is it going to appear in greek on my
>terminal in usa?

It should, if you're using the Greek locale on both systems and if
your terminal in the USA supports display of ISO character sets.

Volume-Number: Volume 19, Number 92

keld@diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (05/03/90)

From: keld@diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen)

>From: cns@mtunm.uucp
>is it going to include greek? or better: if i type something in greek
>on my unix terminal in athens, is it going to appear in greek on my
>terminal in usa?

>thx
>constantine
>at&t bell labs  usa .... where our  ovens run on UNIX/tm

Yes, it supports greek already, that is ISO 8859-7 a.k.a.
ELOT 928 - 8 bit greek. So if you use terminals both places
that supports this you have no problem.
If you run on an IBM PC there is support
for displaying the greek chars in this charset.
If you use plain ASCII you can have it displayed in a identifiable and
somewhat mnemonic form, like a*b* for alfa beta.
If you reply on this, you can generate answers which will be presented
correctly on the receiver's terminal.

There are similar provisions implemented for cyrillic, arabic and hebrew.

Keld Simonsen

Volume-Number: Volume 19, Number 95