[comp.std.unix] Printing Standards?

urban@rand.org (Mike Urban) (07/06/90)

From: urban@rand.org (Mike Urban)

What incipient or existing standards, if any, specify
the Shell-level printer interface (lpr and its friends)?
--

	Mike Urban
	urban@rand.ORG

Volume-Number: Volume 20, Number 103

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (07/07/90)

From:  Dominic Dunlop <domo@tsa.co.uk>

In article <789@longway.TIC.COM> urban@rand.org (Mike Urban) writes:
>What incipient or existing standards, if any, specify
>the Shell-level printer interface (lpr and its friends)?

Aha.  That terminal ``r'' tells me you're a Berkeley-ite.  Which is too
bad, I'm afraid.  The draft 1003.2 shell and tools standard specifies a
pretty-much emasculated version of the System V.2 (or thereabouts) lp
print spooling command (which some might argue was fairly impotent in
the first place).  As far as ``friends'' go (lpadmin, enable, lpshut and
so on in the case of System V), none are specified.  This is seen as
1003.7 (administration) territory.  If you can get hold of a draft
(somebody in Rand must have one), you'll find lots of extended
description about how little a conforming application can assume from
lp, and rationale about how it should be possible to implement it as a
shell script, namely

	cat > /dev/lp

The X/Open Portability Guide, edition 3, volume 1, does little better: it
describes a few more options, and the cancel utility, but they're all
optional -- in effect, all an XPG-conformant system has to offer is the
interface described in 1003.2.

All rather depressing really.
--
Dominic Dunlop

Volume-Number: Volume 20, Number 111

jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (07/08/90)

From:  jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely)

In article <797@longway.TIC.COM> domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
[discussion of POSIX specifying only minimal print standard,
bare-bones SysV lp]

>All rather depressing really.

Actually, I find it encouraging.  It means that the world won't
standardize on either SysV *or* Berkeley print spooling, which means
that there's room for someone to write something good.  Lpr and
company are a bitch for a large network, and I wouldn't even *try* to
run lp on 300 machines.  What's needed is a real batch system that
scales to a large network (and please, Ghod, make it administerable by
a mortal).
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

Volume-Number: Volume 20, Number 112