[comp.std.unix] POSIX.1 requires shell???

cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) (11/13/90)

Submitted-by: cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier)

Does POSIX.1 require that a shell interface capability exist? I know that
POSIX.2 is still being worked, but is it possible that dot 1 does not
require dot 2, but rather simply allows that if a shell is available it
will be according to dot 2?

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 21

decot@hpisod2.cup.hp.com (Dave Decot) (11/14/90)

Submitted-by: decot@hpisod2.cup.hp.com (Dave Decot)

> Does POSIX.1 require that a shell interface capability exist? I know that
> POSIX.2 is still being worked, but is it possible that dot 1 does not
> require dot 2, but rather simply allows that if a shell is available it
> will be according to dot 2?

POSIX.1 does not require any shell interface capability to exist.  If one
is provided, it does not have to conform to POSIX.2 (unless, of course,
the system claims to conform to POSIX.2).

Dave Decot

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 22

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/16/90)

Submitted-by: gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn)

In article <14613@cs.utexas.edu> cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) writes:
>Does POSIX.1 require that a shell interface capability exist?

No.

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 26