[comp.std.unix] recent history of Unix evolution

Kevin.N.Broekhoven@QueensU.CA (01/24/91)

Submitted-by: Kevin.N.Broekhoven@QueensU.CA

I am writing a small article which touches on recent evolution in Unix
standards, but can't seem to find some information that it would be nice to
include.  I would appreciate it if some kind soul who is up on all of this
could please shed a little light on this for me.

Questions:

1.AT&T, Sun and Microsoft banded together in the late 80's to create System V.4
    as the merge of the System V.3, SunOS, and Xenix strains of Unix.
    What was the duration of the software development phase, and what were the
    release dates of System V.4 on each significant platform?

2.Similarly, OSF/1 is "currently under development" but is having some problems
    getting off the ground.  I believe IBM has pulled out of the effort to
    develop the operating system, in favour of AIX which works.  What are the
    dates of:    1.the formation of OSF
                 2.the development phase of the OSF/1 operating system
                   (is it still under development, or  has it been abandoned
                     completely after the pull out by Big Blue?)
    What are the Unix roots of the OSF/1 operating system?  i.e. was it
    developed from System V.2, or Mach from Carnegie Mellon U?

3.What is the date of the formation of UI (Unix International)?

4.What are the Unix roots of AIX?  i.e. was it developed from System V.2 or
    Mach?  What are its advantages and disadvantages relative to other
    strains of Unix?

3.What are the Unix roots of Mach?  Why did Carnagie Melon develop it?  What
    are its advantages and disadvantages relative to other strains of Unix?
    (i.e. why did Next (and possibly IBM?) choose Mach over BSD or some
     other flavour of Unix?)

4.Is there a competition between System V.4 and OSF/1, in the sense that one
    will be chosen as the ANSI standard Unix, or are they both sufficiently
    conformant to current ANSI/POSIX standards, that this is not an issue:
    that the competition is strictly in the marketplace?

I realise this is a lot to ask, but I can't find this information in any of
our locally available references.  RTFM responses, or references to articles
in recent publications welcome.

with thanks in anticipation,

Kevin Broekhoven                     Computing Centre
applications programmer              Queens University K7L-3N6 (Canada)
Bitnet, NetNorth: BROEKHVN@QUCDN     IP: kevin@ccs.QueensU.CA (130.15.48.9)
X.400:  Kevin.Broekhoven@QueensU.CA  Bell: (613) 545-2235 fax: 545-6798

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 84

peter@world.std.com (Peter Salus) (01/30/91)

Submitted-by: peter@world.std.com (Peter Salus)

In article <17405@cs.utexas.edu> Kevin.N.Broekhoven@QueensU.CA writes:
>Submitted-by: Kevin.N.Broekhoven@QueensU.CA
>
>I am writing a small article which touches on recent evolution in Unix
>standards, but can't seem to find some information that it would be nice to
>include.  I would appreciate it if some kind soul who is up on all of this
>could please shed a little light on this for me.

Much of what you ask is in Libes&Ressler, Life with UNIX,
Prentice Hall 1989.  For the stuff on Mach, I suggest the
Summer 1986 (Atlanta) USENIX Proceedings or the Proceedings
of the USENIX Mach Workshop last Autumn.  OSF was created in
May 1989; UI (in response) in August/September 1989.  There
are two OSF papers and a Mach paper in the USENIX Proceedings
for Dallas (last week).

The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 89

sp@gregoire.osf.fr (Simon Patience) (02/05/91)

Submitted-by: sp@gregoire.osf.fr (Simon Patience)

In article <17405@cs.utexas.edu>, Kevin.N.Broekhoven@QueensU.CA writes:
> 2.Similarly, OSF/1 is "currently under development" but is having some
problems
>     getting off the ground.  I believe IBM has pulled out of the effort to
>     develop the operating system, in favour of AIX which works.  What are the
>     dates of:    1.the formation of OSF
>                  2.the development phase of the OSF/1 operating system
>                    (is it still under development, or  has it been abandoned
>                      completely after the pull out by Big Blue?)
>     What are the Unix roots of the OSF/1 operating system?  i.e. was it
>     developed from System V.2, or Mach from Carnegie Mellon U?

OSF/1 1.0 was released for general distribution on December 7 1990.
There are no problems that I know of that has prevented it getting off
the ground and I was one of the development team. In fact the project
slipped only 2 or 3 weeks from its original ship date which is pretty
impressive for a project of that magnitude I think.

At the general release announcement the sponsors endorsed OSF/1 and many
(including IBM) announced that they would be using OSF/1 as part of
their operating system technology. The final IBM product could well be
called AIX but that is their perogative and a marketing decision I would think.

To question 1, OSF, the company, was formed in May 1988. As I said,
OSF/1 has already shipped and your information about IBM is incorrect.

OSF/1, simplistically, is the integration of Mach 2.5 microkernel and
BSD 4.4 but there has been a significant contribution of technology from
various sources, IBM, Mentat, Secureware, Encore, to name a few (I
apologise to those I have ommited), and of course OSFs own development
group. There is a small amount of AT&T System V.2 code in the kernel but
not much and it is well isolated.

> 4.Is there a competition between System V.4 and OSF/1, in the sense that one
>     will be chosen as the ANSI standard Unix, or are they both sufficiently
>     conformant to current ANSI/POSIX standards, that this is not an issue:
>     that the competition is strictly in the marketplace?

As far as I am concerned there is no competition. Both systems support
the standard interfaces (POSIX, FIPS, XPG3, ANSI-C, etc) so with respect
to strictly conforming application portability the two systems should be
identical. Obviously there are other differences, for example in the
area of multiprocessor support, threads, dynamic configuration, etc but
I will stick my neck out and guess that neither system will be "chosen"
by any standards body as the one and only true system.

The current status is that OSF/1 1.1 is already under development and
likely to be available sometime in the next 12 months or so, I don't
know the exact ship date. The system today has already been ported to
more that 8 different architectures, including a MIPS R2000, National
Semi 32532, Motorola 68030, Intel 80386 and I860, Fairchild clipper and
more, I forget them all.

DISCLAIMER: This is not an official statement from OSF.

  Simon Patience
  Open Software Foundation			Phone: +33-76-63-48-72
  Research Institute				FAX:   +33-76-51-05-32
  2 Avenue De Vignate				Email: sp@gr.osf.org
  38610 Gieres, France				       uunet!gr.osf.org!sp

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 103

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (02/06/91)

Submitted-by: rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn)

sp@gregoire.osf.fr (Simon Patience) writes, among explanations of OSF
history and status, that:

> OSF/1, simplistically, is the integration of Mach 2.5 microkernel and
> BSD 4.4...

This is incorrect on two counts.  First, Mach 2.5 is not a "microkernel"
implementation--it still contains conventional kernel functions.  The
"microkernel" version of Mach is 3.0.  (However, it *is* correct that OSF/1
is based on the non-"micro"kernel 2.5.)  Second, OSF/1 could not have
integrated BSD 4.4, because BSD 4.4 is not done yet--at least not accor-
ding to the folks at Berkeley!  Probably what is meant here is that OSF/1
has incorporated some of the Berkeley "Reno" code, Reno being the name
attached to a pre-4.4 release of code intended for developers who want to
try it out and shake out the bugs.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 108

sp@gregoire.osf.fr (Simon Patience) (02/07/91)

In article <17653@cs.utexas.edu>, rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> sp@gregoire.osf.fr (Simon Patience) writes, among explanations of OSF
> history and status, that:
>
> > OSF/1, simplistically, is the integration of Mach 2.5 microkernel and
> > BSD 4.4...
>
> This is incorrect on two counts.  First, Mach 2.5 is not a "microkernel"
> implementation--it still contains conventional kernel functions.

By this statement I was trying to imply that it was only the microkernel
part of the Mach 2.5 distribution that was used and not the Unix part
(although for the pedants, I'm sure a line or two slipped in). In fact the
Mach 3.0 kernel was based on the 2.5 "microkernel" and only the IPC interfaces
changed significantly (although again I'm sure other changes have been
made, sigh, the things you have to do to protect against flames)

> Second, OSF/1 could not have
> integrated BSD 4.4, because BSD 4.4 is not done yet--at least not accor-
> ding to the folks at Berkeley!  Probably what is meant here is that OSF/1
> has incorporated some of the Berkeley "Reno" code, Reno being the name
> attached to a pre-4.4 release of code intended for developers who want to
> try it out and shake out the bugs.

Well, I did say *simplistically*. In fact OSF and Berkeley worked closely
sharing what was to become 4.3 Reno and will become 4.4. Bugs found and
fixed at OSF will be in 4.4 and vice versa.

If you had wanted a technically precise and accurate description then
you can always attend the OSF/1 internals course.

Simon.

  Simon Patience
  Open Software Foundation			Phone: +33-76-63-48-72
  Research Institute				FAX:   +33-76-51-05-32
  2 Avenue De Vignate				Email: sp@gr.osf.org
  38610 Gieres, France				       uunet!gr.osf.org!sp

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 115

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (02/11/91)

Submitted-by: Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips)

Simon> OSF/1 1.0 was released for general distribution on December 7 1990.

The more important date will be when end users can buy OSF/1 and its
documentation for their machines, IMHO.  The most optimistic rumor I've
heard is third quarter `91 for shipment to end users, and then only for a
few platforms.

Don't get me wrong.  I welcome the competition between USL and OSF.  I'm
confident *both* OSs will benefit as a result.  I wish both camps success.

As a developer of applications that must run on both SVr4 and OSF/1 (when
it ships to end users), I've looked all over for specific information on
the C language interface to OSF/1 in general and system calls in
particular.  The only books I can find on OSF are about Motif, nothing on
the operating system itself.  I'd *like* to take advantage of what OSF/1
offers, but without documentation, this is impossible.  How about sections
1-8 of the man pages for OSF/1?  Where can I buy them?  Telling me it will
be POSIX compliant is only a partial answer.

Disclaimer: Not a spokesman, etc.
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 122

sp@gregoire.osf.fr (Simon Patience) (02/14/91)

Submitted-by: sp@gregoire.osf.fr (Simon Patience)

In article <17837@cs.utexas.edu>, Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM
(Chuck.Phillips) writes:
> As a developer of applications that must run on both SVr4 and OSF/1 (when
> it ships to end users), I've looked all over for specific information on
> the C language interface to OSF/1 in general and system calls in
> particular.  The only books I can find on OSF are about Motif, nothing on
> the operating system itself.  I'd *like* to take advantage of what OSF/1
> offers, but without documentation, this is impossible.  How about sections
> 1-8 of the man pages for OSF/1?  Where can I buy them?  Telling me it will
> be POSIX compliant is only a partial answer.

What you want is the Operating System Programming Interfaces Volume of
the AES (Application Environment Specification). This is published by
Prentice Hall ISBN 0-13-043522-8. You should be able to order this from
any reputable bookshop if they don't already have it. It has been available
for some time but I guess it has taken time for the news to leak out.

These are not all the interfaces present in OSF/1 but they are the ones
you should use if you want to write a portable application.

Simon.

  Simon Patience
  Open Software Foundation			Phone: +33-76-63-48-72
  Research Institute				FAX:   +33-76-51-05-32
  2 Avenue De Vignate				Email: sp@gr.osf.org
  38610 Gieres, France				       uunet!gr.osf.org!sp

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 124

lwa@skeptic.osf.org (Larry Allen) (02/14/91)

Submitted-by: lwa@skeptic.osf.org (Larry Allen)

Speaking not quite authoritatively, but as a member of the
OSF/1 development team:
Most OSF/1 documentation is available without a
source code license.  The "quick-print copies" -
exactly what we shipped on the tape - can
be purchased right now from OSF-Direct.  Call
617-621-7300 and ask to purchase an OSF/1 documentation set.
Prentice Hall versions of several of the manuals will be
available in several months.  I think OSF-Direct
can probably help with information on the printed
books, or talk to your Prentice-Hall salesman...

I should also mention that the OS AES (the Applications
Environment Specification, which is the application
programming interface recommended for use by portable
applications, guaranteed to be preserved across multiple
releases, etc.) is printed by Prentice Hall and is
currently available in better computer bookstores
everywhere :^)  It's called the

Application Environment Specification
Operating System Programming Interfaces Volume

					-Larry Allen
					 Open Software Foundation

Volume-Number: Volume 22, Number 125