[comp.std.unix] long options

ONM07%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu (Julian F. Reschke) (05/28/91)

Submitted-by: ONM07%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu (Julian F. Reschke)

I recently heard that future POSIX standards will document `long options'
similar to those used in the GNU file utilities.

(1) Is this true?
(2) Will there be a standard for getting a short help (like `+help')?
(3) What about tools that do not use getopt (like pg, chmod, tar and so on)?
(4) Is there a list of proposed long options for the standard tools?

___________________________ cut here _____________________________________
Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
fast eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET,    slow: jr@ms.maus.de (++49 251 77216)
____________________ correct me if I'm wrong _____________________________

Volume-Number: Volume 23, Number 76

Submitted-by: peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva)

> I recently heard that future POSIX standards will document `long options'
> similar to those used in the GNU file utilities.

> (3) What about tools that do not use getopt (like pg, chmod, tar and so on)?

How does getopt support long options? I would think that standardising on long
options would pretty much require a more sophisticated parser, such as Eric
Allman's "parseargs".
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

[ The GNU getopt supports long options, via +long_option_name, I believe.
  It qualifies as existing practice, I suppose. --mod ]

Volume-Number: Volume 23, Number 78

mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (05/29/91)

Submitted-by: mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell)

In article <1991May28.010441.13817@uunet.uu.net> ONM07%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu (Julian F. Reschke) writes:

   I recently heard that future POSIX standards will document `long options'
   similar to those used in the GNU file utilities.

   (3) What about tools that do not use getopt (like pg, chmod, tar and so on)?

Note that GNU tar now uses getoldopt, which is called just like
getopt, but understands both the old tar option format and the new
format.

	-mib

Volume-Number: Volume 23, Number 79