[comp.sys.masscomp] HPSM problems

gonzalez@vax.bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) (09/12/87)

I have started working with an HPSM that we had installed several weeks ago.
The only test performed on it was successful login on each of the eight lines
using a VT-220.  In addition, I succeeded in completing a Kermit exchange over
one of the lines, the week before last.  Tonight I can't get at the lines.
I've tried cat, the connect option of kermit and a short program that simply
does an open on /dev/tty15.  In the last case, I know that it goes into the
open and does not return.  Kermit isn't printing it's little connect message.
On the one line that has getty enabled on it (/dev/tty8 == port 0) I can do
cat and connect with Kermit, and send characters out (they appear on the 220).
The lines (/dev/tty8 ... /dev/tty15) are all mode 622, owned by root.  My
test runs are performed as root (when attempted as non-root I get EPERM on the
open, as expected).  The HPSM seems to be working, since I can still login
on the getty line, but I can't get at it.  The wording for tty(4) seems to
imply that my process is simply waiting for a response that never comes from
the I/O systmem.  Has anyone had this problem?  My three regular lines are
behaving normally, but of course they don't use the same device and probably
don't use the same driver.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

				-Jim Gonzalez	gonzalez@bbn.com
				BBN Labs, Inc.
				Cambridge, MA

[Did you reload the HPSM software into the HPSM? What version of the HPSM
software are you runnings? I think the latest is 3.0. -- sob]

gonzalez@vax.bbn.com (09/15/87)

Peg Bailey in Customer Service gave me the answer I needed.  The HPSM is
much more picky about control lines than most RS-232 implementations I've
seen.  Once DSR and DCD were asserted, I was able to open the port and I
was able to do ioctl's once CTS was asserted.  Apparently, Masscomp still
doesn't have a formal description of the HPSM for customers to use, so this
problem pops up on the hotline all the time.

By the way, is there a list of special interest groups around?  The MUS
application asks what groups one might be interested in, but doesn't list
which groups exist.  Our group does ship-based applications, so I have an
interest in groups covering graphics, data acquisition, etc.  Also, I'd
be interested in comparing notes on field operations (packing, power line
conditioning, salt spray, ship motion, etc).

masscomp-request@soma.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <3202@soma.bcm.tmc.edu>, gonzalez@vax.bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) writes:
> I have started working with an HPSM that we had installed several weeks ago.
and Stan suggests:
> [Did you reload the HPSM software into the HPSM? What version of the HPSM
> software are you runnings? I think the latest is 3.0. -- sob]

I just (last week ?) got HPSM software release 4.0, but have not installed
it yet.  I am hoping that it will fix some of the problems we have been having.

The RELEASE NOTES claim to fix:
	-A flow control problem ... (which) would hang a tty port.
	-confusion resulting from NULLs in the data stream.
	and a collection of other errors in the previous releases

We have had a number of problems with HPSM lines. The basic symptom is that
when you kill one (however that happens) the only way to recover that line
is to reboot. It may be possible to reload the HPSM, but you would probably
have to do it in single user or at least assure that no one else is using it.

The most common type of HPSM failure occurs when we transfer very long files
through it. We run a large format digitizer with a Mac+, then move the resulting
files from the Mac to a Masscomp with Kermit. I don't think that Kermit is at
fault. It appears that the HPSM loses an interupt, and then can not recover.

I probably should have spent this time installing the new release.....

			Dale Chayes
			Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory
			Palisades, N.Y. 10964
			(914) 359-2900