[comp.sys.masscomp] FSCK

ong@eneevax.umd.edu (Juey-Chong Ong) (09/15/87)

I've noticed that for certain files, there will be a UNKNOWN SIZE error
no matter how many times you fsck the file system. I think these can
be safely ignored.

--jc

jsm@masscomp.UUCP (09/21/87)

In article <3204@soma.bcm.tmc.edu> ong@eneevax.umd.edu (Juey-Chong Ong) writes:
>I've noticed that for certain files, there will be a UNKNOWN SIZE error
>no matter how many times you fsck the file system. I think these can
>be safely ignored.
>

>--jc

If this message is really about "POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR" from fsck,
then the "safely ignored" statement is not true. The POSSIBLE FILE SIZE
ERROR is a warning that the size (byte count) does not match the block
allocation for the inode. This can be caused by a sparsely allocated file
(create a file, seek many bytes into the file, write,close; the OS
only allocates blocks that are used, not the blocks you seek'd
over) which is legal or it could be a file from doing data acquisition
OR it could be a corrupted inode with missing blocks, bad size field, etc.

The system manager should look up all POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERRORS with ncheck
and remove the corrupted files before they cause grief.

There is an UNKNOWN FILE TYPE error in fsck, this shouldn't be ignored either.

-John