Any comments?
Date: 26 Jan 88 15:18:58 GMT
Sender: usenet@mcdchg.UUCP

	An opposing viewpoint.  I have been working with Masscomp systems
for several years.  We have 3 machines right now and there are about 12 of
their machines in the building I work in.  Given the chance to do it again,
I would not have gotten their hardware.  Reasons:
	1) Prices are too high.  I do not find their prices to be competitive
	at all, let alone cheap.
	2) Severe lack of customer attention.  I was out at their main
	office and they had signs up all over that said "Think Customer".
	They must need more signs because they generally "Forget Customer"
	3) The C compiler has some nasty bugs in it.  I had given up on
	trying to compile GNUemacs until some kind person told me to
	#define register
	(ie, eliminate all register declarations).  The optimizer does some
	nasties too.
	4) I have SQRs (bug reports) that have been filed more than 2 years
	ago that have never been answered.  I finally gave up on even filling
	them in.  I think it would be almost a full time job just to file
	these, there are so many problems.
	5) The blend of SII, SV, BDS4.1, and 4.2 causes lots of problems
	because it is such a mess that it is difficult to keep things straight.
	Also, many things are not supported (Masscomp IS kind enough to
	supply you with a sheet of unsupported programs.  This is, however,
	not complete).
	6) We have had something like 10 salesmen in the Detroit area while
	we have owned the machines.  They do not even come out to say "hello"
	to us any more.  I am not sure, but I may have caught a glance of
	the current one but I have not met him.
	7) THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING REALLY WRONG WITH A REAL-TIME UNIX
	MANUFACTURER WHO IGNORES THE GM MAP PROJECT.
	8) The company agressively tried to prevent us from purchasing a
	service contract on our machines because we did not purchase a
	terminal from them (this is a very marked-up Wyse).
	9) I have participated in several "user-surveys".  The first time
	I spent about 4 hours telling them about things that needed
	addressing.  The last time was just a few minutes.  I've given up.
	All I get is empty promises with no results.
	10) Masscomp refuses to send software upgrades on QIC.  This means
	that I get to load 25 floppies every time I have to upgrade (real
	fun.  Now I understand "Think Customer".  I guess I missed the middle
	words "how to screw the".)

	I could go on about how they broke uucp, insisted that "user's do
	not need that kind of documentation", supply 4th generation
	xerographic copies as user manuals, forget to ship software
	upgrades, ship systems with missing hardware, cripple their
	systems by limiting disk sizes and using unintelligent serial
	muxes, refuse to support even their own peripherals, etc, but you
	get the point.  Besides, it's 18:30 on a Friday afternoon and I
	don't want to ruin any more of my weekend.  The company must have
	had a great sales staff at one point, I have been told that they
	sold machines for a year from a picture of a cardboard box.

	As an interesting exercise, take a look at the volume in
	comp.sys.masscomp...  You may draw your own conclusions.

In fairness, I should say that their hardware support is fairly good.  We
have a service rep who puts the customer first.  Unfortunately, the main
office even manages to trip him up from time to time.  I suspect that he
is the exception, not the rule.
Also, their Data Acq stuff is reasonable.  If the application demands data
acq, buy a machine to dedicate to that and buy somebody else's iron to do
your graphics and/or data manipulation.  Masscomp as Data Acq is fine.
Masscomp as Unix software development machine or graphics programming,
is not.

	Of course, most Masscomp customers don't even find out about Usenet
so they won't even see this.

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne  ***  TMC & Associates  ***  INTERNET: wayne@ford-vax.arpa