[comp.sys.masscomp] X Window strangeness

jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (06/28/89)

I have just received X for the masscomp and have encountered
2 apparent BUGS.

One is that the copy and paste does not
seem to work properly between 2 different windows (separate
processes).

The second is that after compiling a XGCL program
that does not load its own colormap, and then running it, entering
the window generated by that program causes the screen to go dark
as if a mask were applied across the entire screen (it looks as though
a masked colormap is being used). Could this possibly have something to
do with xterm highlighting?

Thanks for your insights,
 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-6848
 Room 256 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 UUCP: {rutgers,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-cvsvax!jea
 INTERNET: ur-cvsvax!jea@cs.rochester.edu or jea@cvs.rochester.edu
:wq

Articles to: masscomp@soma.bcm.tmc.edu or uunet!soma.bcm.tmc.edu!masscomp
Administrative stuff: masscomp-request@soma.bcm.tmc.edu
Stan Barber, Moderator

dale%lamont@uunet.uu.net (dale chayes) (07/17/89)

In article <1596@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:

> I have just received X for the masscomp and have encountered...
[...deleted cut and past problem description....]

Which release did you install. As far as I know, (using Concurrent's
numbering scheme) the most recent version is 1.1. What hardware are you
running it on?

W've got 1.1 running on a 5520 with a GA-1000 (aurora) display, and cut
and paste  seem to work properly.

> The second is that after compiling a XGCL program
> that does not load its own colormap.....[deleted]

I've seen the same on a 12 bit plane Aurora (aka GA-1000) and found it
distracting, but I didn't have time to persue the issue. (I'm sure it
will come back to haunt me.)  Right after that, I found that (of course)
I could not get the XGCL  application to use a remote server, so I
shelved that course of action.

Dale
--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu