[comp.sys.apollo] Submission for mod-computers-apollo

wb@gamma.UUCP (Bill Beblo) (04/17/87)

From: wb@gamma.UUCP (Bill Beblo)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: Graphic Terminal emulator?
Date: 17 Apr 87 04:10:37 GMT

Does anyone have or know of a graphic terminal emulator which
runs in the Apollo DM?  My current need is to be able to access
another UNIX system via TCP/IP from my node and view output
from a statistical package.  This package will produce output
on many commonly available graphics terminals (hp2623/hp2393,
tek410[56] (color would be nice)).  Other than the vt100
emulator supplied by Apollo, software of this type seems scarce.
I am aware of the tek4113 emulator sold by Danford, but an
emulator with which one could use "vi" is desired.

Bill Beblo
Bell Communications Research
290 West Mt. Pleasant Ave.,  Rm 1D-148
Livingston, New Jersey 07039
(201) 740-4421

root@perdix.lu.se (PERDIX) (04/25/87)

From: hedley@imagen.UUCP (Hedley Rainnie)
Newsgroups: comp.emacs,mod.computers.apollo
Subject: GNU emacs 17.64 & Apollo release 9.5.1
Date: 21 Apr 87 17:17:01 GMT

[]
After our upgrade GNU dies right after loadup.el begins.
(Apollos can't dump). It turns out that realloc is taking
a segmentation fault. My finger points to a buggy new shared
library. Even the supplied malloc when linked dies on a readin
of a large file. Anyone else experience this? if I can mend it
I will inform those interested.

GNUemacsless, Hedley.

{decwrl}!imagen!hedley

uucp@edison.ge.COM.UUCP (04/28/87)

From: martin@MCS.NLM.NIH.GOV (Brian Martin)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: Please remove martin@nlm-mcs.ARPA from
Date: 26 Apr 87 10:41:27 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

list

My current e-mail address is
UUCP: medix!martin@uhccux.UUCP
ARPA: uhccux!medix!martin@nosc.ARPA

Tnaks,

Brian K. Martin, M.D.

bcg@edison.ge.COM (Bruce Garland) (04/29/87)

From: uucp@hslrswi.UUCP (Uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: (none)
Date: 28 Apr 87 06:34:09 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

rive is SOFTWARE

From: wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: mail messages
Date: 24 Apr 87 20:03:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #N:iuvax:128100001:000:441
Nf-From: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu!wcwang    Apr 24 15:03:00 1987

Does anyone know why apollo csh will not tell you whether you have mail
waiting when you login from the monitor?  Also if someone knows how to
get  mail notification immediatly of the mail completion sent to your
terminal, please send a e-mail to me.

Thanks.

Bill Wang
Speech & Hearing Center
Indiana University

UUCP  = {ihnp4,seismo,cbosgd}!iuvax!wcwang
CSNET = wcwang@indiana
ARPA  = wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Phone = (812) 335-0714

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/30/87)

From: uucp@hslrswi.UUCP (Uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Date: 28 Apr 87 11:58:10 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

DRAGONSLAYER
From: srt@CS.UCLA.EDU
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: GNU Emacs for Apollos
Date: 25 Apr 87 20:41:06 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Kudos to Leonard at LUCID for a fine port job.  I grabbed his mods
and the latest GNU release from MIT (actually 18.44) and applied
them with little or no trouble.  A couple of minor points:

(a)  Leonard included a modified startup.el in his distribution
but didn't include the corresponding startup.elc.  This means
you should manually remove lisp/startup.elc before starting your
compile, and (if you are really diligent) recompile startup.elc
by using M-X byte-compile-file and then redo your Emacs.

(b)  I ran out of Pure Lisp Space when trying to dump an Emacs.
The fix for this is to slightly increase the PURESIZE in config.h.
I set mine to 150000 (instead of about 125000) and had no
further problems.

Again, mucho kudos to Leonard!

                                                -- Scott

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (04/30/87)

From: uucp@hslrswi.UUCP (Uucp)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Date: 28 Apr 87 20:40:50 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

From: rps@apollo.UUCP (Robert Stanzel)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: Re: GNU emacs 17.64 & Apollo release 9.5.1
Date: 23 Apr 87 12:48:42 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

[ This is a corrected resend, since the last didn't make it to the arpanet ]

    After our upgrade GNU dies right after loadup.el begins.  (Apollos
    can't dump). It turns out that realloc is taking a segmentation fault.
    My finger points to a buggy new shared library.

We changed the memory allocation routines in 9.5, and they are less
permissive than the bsd4.2-ish routines which often allocate extra
space.  There was a bug in gnuemacs (long-fixed, certainly in 18.xx)
which writes past the end of allocated memory, which causes this problem.

The bug was in Fmake_vector(); it called malloc with too small a request size.

Apollos *can* freeze, ala sendmail, as of 9.5.  There is a version
of 18.36 available which has fast startup and fast terminal driving.
If you wish to get it (as well as our version of X10.4), send email to
    ...decvax!wanginst!apollo!adus or apollo!adus@eddie.mit.edu
or contact
    Apollo Computer Inc.
    ADUS Library, CHD 02 MK
    330 Billerica Rd.
    Chelmsford, MA 01824  USA

Rob
-------

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (05/01/87)

From: uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: Submission for mod-computers-apollo
Date: 28 Apr 87 06:32:56 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

From: martin@MCS.NLM.NIH.GOV (Brian Martin)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Date: 26 Apr 87 10:41:27 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

From: srt@CS.UCLA.EDU
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: Checking Mail and Rhapsody Archive
Date: 28 Apr 87 05:36:41 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

As John Peterson mentioned, I do indeed have a program for the Apollos
that will do mail checking.  It is fairly short, but I've decided for
various reasons not to include it here; I see no reason to burden this
mailing list.

However, the code is available via anonymous ftp from zeus.ucla.edu
(128.97.2.2), in a file called ckmail.shar.  If you don't have FTP access
send me e-mail and I'll send it to you if (a) I get the time and (b)
you aren't overseas.

Meanwhile, I wanted to mention that I've requested a moderated group
called comp.sources.misc (or something similar) to which I can post
the Rhapsody Archive.  I haven't yet heard yea or nay about my idea; if
it is nay, I will be posting to comp.sources.misc.

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  srt@ucla
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    DRAGNET:  ...!{channing,streisand,joe-friday}!srt@dragnet-relay.arpa

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (05/01/87)

From: krowitz@mit-kermit.UUCP (David Krowitz)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: GNU emacs
Date: 28 Apr 87 18:25:23 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Is the release of GNU emacs for the Apollos which was sent to ADUS
just the changes, or does it include a ready to run editor? If not,
where can we get the necessary sources?

                                   -- David Krowitz

mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@eddie.mit.edu
mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@mit-eddie.arpa
krowitz@mit-mc.arpa
(in order of decreasing preference)

uucp@edison.ge.COM (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (05/02/87)

From: krowitz@mit-kermit.UUCP (David Krowitz)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: mail notification
Date: 28 Apr 87 14:10:41 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

There is a program called 'ckmail' which is available both from
Scott Turner's archive and from ADUS. It will pop up a small window
on your screen when new mail shows up in your mail box. I will
try mailing you the sources in a latter message. The program needs
to be compiled with the SR9.2 C compiler, the SR9.5 compiler causes
the message in the window to contain garbage.

From: wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Newsgroups: mod.computers.apollo
Subject: mail_alarm
Date: 28 Apr 87 20:17:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #N:iuvax:128100002:000:2196
Nf-From: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu!wcwang    Apr 28 15:17:00 1987

From dennis@cod.nosc.mil Tue Apr 28 10:13:17 1987
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 87 08:10:17 PDT
From: dennis@cod.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel)
To: wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: mail notification on Apollo
Cc: apollo@yale.edu

Using Berkeley Mail on the Apollo, you can arrange to get an alarm
window containing the Subject and Sender each time a new message
arrives.

All you need to do is to set up a .forward file in your home directory
that looks like this:

\dennis
"|/user/local/com/mail_alarm dennis"

where the MAIL_ALARM command is the shell script below.

       Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
       (619) 225-2406     dennis@NOSC.MIL       sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

--------------------------------cut here-------------------------
#!/com/sh
# $Header: //pumpkin_patch/local/source/mail_alarm/mail_alarm,v 1.6 87/04/08 13:30:37 dennis Exp $

# Mail notification using Send_Alarm

# Called from .forward by Sendmail with the notificee
# given as an argument, i.e. "mail_alarm dennis".

eon

#-----------------------------------------------------------------
#  Explanation for the following command:
#
#  The FPAT command returns a line for each of the arguments.  In
#  order to limit the total argument of SEND_ALARM to 80 characters
#  (to keep it from quitting), I use the trick of
#  sending the line through FMC with a line length of 80.  Therefore,
#  the output of FPAT has to be changed into one line first.  The
#  first EDSTR command changes any CRs to a hash mark, and the
#  second EDSTR command changes just the first one back after the
#  line has been truncated if necessary.  Whew!

sender := ^"fpat '%From: ' '%Subject: ' | edstr s/@n/#/ | fmc -c 1 -w 79 | edstr -e s/#/@n/ -e s/#/@ /g"

if eqs ^sender then # didn't find a From: or Subject: line
    sender := "Mail arrived from unknown user."
endif

username := ^"lusr -ppo ^1 >?/dev/null"

if not eqs ^username then # adressee is on-line
    /com/send_alarm ^sender -user ^1
endif