[comp.sys.apollo] Domain/IX talk program

slocum@hi-csc.UUCP.UUCP (05/15/87)

apollo-request@YALE.ARPA writes:
> Before making absurd comments ... get some of your
> information straight.

It looks like you better take your own advice, before making comments.
As a previous poster has said, 'talk' is supported by Apollo.

>... My suggestion to you is that if you really want to use
> "talk" (I wouldn't know why, given that telephone communications would
> be much more efficient), ...

First of all, programs like 'talk' and 'write' are very useful for
asking about program specifics, where pathnames, literals, errors,
etc. can be passed verbatim, using 'cut' and 'paste'.  At present,
it is very difficult to do this over the phone.  Maybe someday ATT
will catch up.

My comment about the whole question about 'talk' and 8 character logins
is: let's be consistent.  If you are going to make restrictions, like
8 character names, only on a particular piece of software, trouble is
sure to insue.  To my mind, software should first work on the machine
in question, Apollo for instance, before making it work for heterogeneous
machines.  If you must be inconsistent, make sure that the documentation
clearly states ALL of the implications that are known.  This would
have saved Mr. Giebelhaus considerable effort in trying to install 'talk'.
He could have seen just what kind of trouble to expect, and then
decided not to make the attempt.