[comp.sys.apollo] alternate Apollo VT100 fonts?

dennis@COD.NOSC.MIL.UUCP (05/13/87)

I would like to have the VT100 emulator use alternate fonts.  After I
installed SR9.5, the VT100 uses a large font on a DN3000, but the (original)
smaller font on a DN300.  A string dump of /sys/vtserver shows the string
"~user_data/vt100_config" -- what can you configure?

       Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
       (619) 225-2406     dennis@NOSC.MIL       sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (05/18/87)

In article <8705131747.AA12951@cod.nosc.mil> dennis@COD.NOSC.MIL (Dennis Cottel) writes:
> I would like to have the VT100 emulator use alternate fonts.  After I
> installed SR9.5, the VT100 uses a large font on a DN3000, but the (original)
> smaller font on a DN300.  A string dump of /sys/vtserver shows the string
> "~user_data/vt100_config" -- what can you configure?
>
>        Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
>        (619) 225-2406     dennis@NOSC.MIL       sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

I'm not sure what the config file does (although I'll check).  However you
may want to do what I did.  The vt100 simply uses a bunch of fonts in /sys/dm/fonts.
There are two sets, one large and one small, I simply made all the large ones
links to the small ones.

                                                    Kee Hinckley

dennis@COD.NOSC.MIL (Dennis Cottel) (05/20/87)

Me:
>> I would like to have the VT100 emulator use alternate fonts.

Kee Hinckley:
>I'm not sure what the config file does (although I'll check).  However
>you may want to do what I did.  The vt100 simply uses a bunch of fonts
>in /sys/dm/fonts.  There are two sets, one large and one small, I
>simply made all the large ones links to the small ones.

The trouble with this is that different people sharing the same node
want different fonts.

A possibility is to make /sys/dm/fonts/vt100s?* links to ~user_data/somewhere,
but then all those users who don't care would also have to make arrangements
to have ~user_data/somewhere reference an appropriate font set.
							--Dennis

dfm@JASPER.PALLADIAN.COM (Don Morrison) (05/21/87)

    Date: Wed, 20 May 87 07:52:45 PDT
    From: dennis@cod.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel)
				The vt100 simply uses a bunch of fonts
    >in /sys/dm/fonts.  There are two sets, one large and one small, I
    >simply made all the large ones links to the small ones.

    The trouble with this is that different people sharing the same node
    want different fonts.

    A possibility is to make /sys/dm/fonts/vt100s?* links to ~user_data/somewhere,
    but then all those users who don't care would also have to make arrangements
    to have ~user_data/somewhere reference an appropriate font set.

How about making them links through $(VT100FONTS) or some such, and setting
VT100FONTS to /sys/dm/fonts by default in `node_data/startup.mumble, but changing it
to your personal font directory, which then contains links back to the guys you want
in /sys/dm/fonts, in one of your init files?